Bathtub replacment questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazman

Reaction score
Hi all, Previous requests for help were spot on so hopefully this one will be too. I'm slowly planning a hall bath redo and will be replacing the tub. New tub will be going in same location. I am assuming when I disconnect the drain and overflow the new tub will connect up to existing so no changes needed? Secondly, the tub is sitting on 2x4's on the flat. Is this the norm or was it done perhaps to roll the original vinyl floor edge up to iliminate a seam at the tub edge. If I drop new tub on top of same frame I'll have to add some sort of baseboard or tile to hide the edge of the 2x4. It would be easier than moving the pluming down to adjust for the height difference.
Thanks!
Randy

Hello Tazman:
Yes, the plumbing should hook directly to the new tub. The 2 X 4 throws a kink in the works; I can't understand why it was needed the first time but, since it is there and the plumbing needs to line up, you are correct in leaving it. Make sure it is not showing any rot or softness; it may be necessary to replace it with a redwood 2 X 4 to stave off deterioration. Vinyl base would work well on the 2 X 4 and could be sealed with silicone for additional protection.
Glenn

Thanks Glen, Makes life a bit easier. As for the 2x4, only thing I can see is the vinyl floor rolled up to a lip on the tub side so no floor seam to leak. I'll have the floor open to re-enforce for tile or stone so I'll ck/replace the 2x4's as needed
Thx!
Randy

Depending on how many 2x4's are under the tub, they may be there for support, especially if it is an acrylic tub. Some people do this rather than using a mortarbed. Plastic and other acrylic units need the bottom supported to avoid cracking and flexing. Just a thought.

Thanks majakdragon. It's a plain ol' steel/porcelein tub. The 2x4's only go around the permiter, nothing across the middle etc. Beats me.
Randy

Thanks majakdragon. It's a plain ol' steel/porcelein tub. The 2x4's only go around the permiter, nothing across the middle etc. Beats me.
Randy

I need to find the cheapest place to get a standup shower with the whole kit for my sons bathroom. I have a mobile home and it's hard to find something that WILL FIT INTO HIS BATHROOM. thanks

Back