Beds edging and edger

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brasilmom

Reaction score
Hello,

Our lawn beds are in desperate need of edging and new mulch. We have already gotten new mulch, but before we can put it down we need to do some serious clean up on the beds. I want to rent/purchase an edger that will clean both the inside and the outside of the beds, but we do have black edging installed in all beds. I am not sure that I can use an edger around that would remove some of the soil in the bed close to the edge, and also trim off the grass from the edger. Does that make sense? The grass has grown a bit too much and in some areas are now over the edger. In those cases the initial removal will be done with a shovel to preserve the edger. Any thoughts/ ideas about the machine I could use for my application? Thanks

What about spraying the area with roundup, putting down landscape fabric then mulching. Anything that's growing, hit it with a weed eater.

I'm not a fan of the plastic edging. On the beds I have edging I use metal edging and you don't have to dig out too much to install it. This is what I used, it is available in green, black, and brown at both Home Depot and Lowe's and probably other home centers and garden supply stores near you.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/COL-MET-Brown-Powder-Coat-Steel-Landscape-Edging-Section/3015399
Thank you. So, how do you maintain around that? Are you able to use an edger to make sure teh grass do not grow over the edging?

Thank you. So, how do you maintain around that? Are you able to use an edger to make sure teh grass do not grow over the edging?
I can use a string trimmer against it. An edger not so much. The black plastic stuff tends to come up in every application I've ever seen of it.

Want to do this just once at no expense, just time?
If so do this.

I do this stuff for a living so I own a gas powered edger, and an attachment that goes on my edger for smaller jobs.

I like his technique. I only use the metal edging on a bed in the middle of a hill to keep my neighbors Bermuda out and to help keep the mulch from washing away. Other than that bed, I mainly use a shovel like his, but I'll have to try his method of going at an angle.

I like his technique. I only use the metal edging on a bed in the middle of a hill to keep my neighbors Bermuda out and to help keep the mulch from washing away. Other than that bed, I mainly use a shovel like his, but I'll have to try his method of going at an angle.
I like that method. We just got some rain so I am heading out to give it a try. Since we have several beds, we may resort to a machine so we can do a better up keeping. Thank you much

Back