Best adhesive for mirror to plain hollow core door?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfw

Reaction score
I just picked up a full length mirror suitable for mounting on a door. Plain glass, beveled edge, no frame.
It *feels* like 40 pounds but maybe it's just awkward and really only weighs 25. I could check if it matters.
It came with clips that could be mounted in hollow door anchors, but it would look better without the clips. Plus, we have plate mirrors in the bathrooms that are adhesive only and they've stuck fine to drywall for 25 years.

The door is a plain hollow core door with a slightly shiny surface. I could scuff/sand that if it will help adhesion.

So what adhesive should I use? I'm a little confused because every product seems to have a few negative reviews.

Ideally I should be able to remount the door within a few hours of adhering the mirror.

Thanks!

Just about any construction adhesive, that fits you drying time.

You possibly have plastic clips that mount over the mirror. Do a google search for "concealed mirror clips". The lower clips are fixed, the upper clips are two-piece sliding, sometimes spring loaded.

I know people do it anyways, but if you read the instructions on any mirror adhesive, it will say to use mechanical support for the mirror.

Just about any construction adhesive, that fits you drying time.
I would remove the door, lay it flat and apply "Mirror Mastic". Let it set up (couple of hours) and rehang the door.
Do not use anything but, mirror mastic. I've used this before and within literally seconds, it holds.

I personally wouldn’t want to glue a mirror to a door or have that heavy of a dressing mirror on a door. I have 4-5 dressing mirrors on the inside of the bathroom doors and the inside of closets doors. They are all the cheep $5 thin mirrors with the plastic frames black or white. I think ours are all white. I drill and countersink two holes thru the plastic one on center top one center bottom and screw them to the door with a drywall screw and touch the head with white paint.

When one breaks I’m only out 5 bucks and 7 years of bad luck. They look good and work great.

I have hung the heavy ones in the past with the plastic clips and over time the clips break and I was always messing with them.

Back