Best cementitious product to fill in this hole?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny186

Reaction score
This picture is of a screened in porch. About half the hole is covered by 5x1 trim. Since it's such a small repair, the owner has decided to just fill in and level with thinset or something. There's self-leveling compound, grout, thinset, which might work best? It won't get any foot traffic.

Attachments

• tile.jpg
    tile.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 21
I need to more or less pour it in to get it to be smooth and level. If it's the consistency of peanut butter, I wonder if it will be hard to work with.

I'd think if you thinned it out you'd weaken it. You should be able to trowel it into the hole in your picture without thinning it. I don't think a self leveling compound would be strong enough for your application. Most of the self leveling stuff is to go under a finished floor. Someone else might have a different experience.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. My client has a bag of concrete laying around so I guess that's what I'm using LOL

Are you going to replace the tiles after filling the hole, or just fill the area with concrete ?

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. My client has a bag of concrete laying around so I guess that's what I'm using LOL
I wouldn’t. It will have a much coarser mix with larger stones in it and for a small patch won’t work as well.

It will also have no strength where feathered down to a thin edge and will quickly chip away.

Well worth the 15 bucks for a small bag of the correct stuff and you will have some left over for another project.

I wouldn’t. It will have a much coarser mix with larger stones in it and for a small patch won’t work as well.

It will also have no strength where feathered down to a thin edge and will quickly chip away.

Well worth the 15 bucks for a small bag of the correct stuff and you will have some left over for another project.
What you're saying makes sense. I'll try to impress upon her that saving $10 in this situation is not worth it.

You need a mortar or sanded mix only, no stones. I suppose you could shift out the stones, but really? The labor would be more than the proper cement (not concrete) product.

Going with thinset to which I'll add a colorant to attempt to match the surrounding tile. I'll post a pic or two of the final result.

Back