Best material for vertical shower base extension?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
We have a shower with a shallow base; although we've lowered the shower curtain rod to allow about 2-3 inches of overlap, the shower curtain still likes to drift over the lip of the base, resulting in a wet bathroom floor after showers.

To counter this I want to build and install a vertical extension along one side of the shower base that meets the wall, to help keep the shower curtain in place. I've mocked up something approximately like what I have in mind (the part in green):

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 09.11.08.png

Since there would be a shower curtain on the inside (between this part and where the water is coming from), I'm not too worried about this thing getting wet, though it probably will need to be moisture resistant because of condensation and occasional accidental splashings.

What's the best material to make it out of?

(Idea: wood, painted white and then covered in Thompson water seal)

What's the best way to fix it in place? (wall is tile, shower base is some kind of plastic I think)

Last edited:
Yes, like that but bigger and hopefully sturdier.

I see Magic makes a bigger one, I wonder if I can get it delivered...

Have you tried the shower curtains with little weights built into the bottom to keep if from drifting?

We have those on the kids' tub. We bought a brand new liner for this shower, and it's a nice heavy gauge one, but does not have weights. Personally I've never found those weights very effective anyway.

I had that same problem, once, then I dampened the shower curtin, and pasted that dampened surface to the shower encl. which because of the surface tension allowed the curtin to remain in place, no more water on the floor.

When we bought our home the previous owner had a wheelchair bath put in on the first floor. I removed the arm rests on the toilet and left most of the other stuff like the fold down seat in the shower. The lip to enter was only about an inch high and we had the same problem. I wanted something removable if we ever needed the access but wanted a higher lip to keep the water in.

I bought a 1x6 PVC plank and cut it to fit the whole opening and held it in place with an aluminum angle on each end and then sealed it in with silicon. It has worked great for 7 years now. The PVC looks like new.

@Snoonyb That's exactly the method I was using. My wife however seems to have trouble doing that.

@bud16415 That's great. If the thing I just bought ever fails I'll do that.

@kok328 I just checked, my shower liner does have those weights already. So much for that!

Turns out when I order one of those splash guards on Amazon, the shipping gets delayed and delayed until they just say "Sorry, we seem to be unable to ship you the item. Would you like a refund?"

Guess I'm gonna try @bud16415's PVC plank method...

Turns out when I order one of those splash guards on Amazon, the shipping gets delayed and delayed until they just say "Sorry, we seem to be unable to ship you the item. Would you like a refund?"

Guess I'm gonna try @bud16415's PVC plank method...
I ran ours all the way across 6" high and we have an inner clear shower curtain and an outer fancy cloth curtain. They are both on the same hooks and rod and open close together. The PVC splash piece keeps them on the correct sides.

It is easy to step over and if one of us ever needs to get in and out from a wheelchair I don't think it would get in the way. If it did it wouldn't be hard to put it back like it was.

Back