Best way to glue Polymeric Skins (rigid insulation) together

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumz

Reaction score
In a corner outside a closet in the basement we have a new bathroom discharge line (4") running ceiling to floor down the outside of the closet with a clean-out angle near the floor. So instead of reframing the closet because I would have had to go too far out into the room to be able to have access the clean-out, I decided to make a (vertical) valance out of 2" rigid insulation to cover it.
I mitered the corner and was thinking wood glue would work because I was also going to reinforce the corner with bamboo skewers put through at different angles intermittently down the 83" length. It has to be strong because I built is so it fits in the corner real snug (the carpeting helps with that - but don't have it so tight that it would bow) and once painted should look like the wall with baseboard on the bottom for continuity. It will hopefully never need to be moved but if it does I want to make sure it doesn't come apart so therefore the question is...
Is yellow elmers glue going to be good enough?
Has anyone else ever used rigid insulation like this before?
Thanks for your time!

Foam needs to be covered with a fire barrier. Drywall is the normal option.

Correct.
It's only 8x15 in a corner of a room hardly used with no open flames, smoking, electronics, yada, yada...

Any ideas on the glue?

I don't think wood glue will hold but give it a try. When I was a kid we used to coat foam with wood glue and use it as a pattern to do lost wax casting out of aluminum. It stuck ok for that. Do some test try gorilla glue.

I would have made the cover out of plywood.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Thanks everyone! :beer:
I used wood glue on a test corner and checked it this morning and it is still damp so I will take your advice just go with what slowandsteady recommended, the Foamboard VOC Adhesive.
The other reason I went with the foam was to damper the sound. It is a plastic 4" and unlike the old cast-iron type, you can hear stink water every time a toilet is flushed or sink drains. This is kind of a quiet space so wanted to get rid of as much of that sound as possible. As an aside, I would've had to go even further into the room if covered with anything, 1/4" ply or sheetrock which would also be a lot more work.
Again, this is tucked in a corner with no potential fire hazard. I suppose I could put fireproof paint over it...
Thanks again!

Glue drywall to it and tape the corners, it's never the fire you plan for. At a certain temp the fumes kill, it doesn't have be in the fire.

Back