Best way to patch this small crack

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
Hi all. I have 2 very small vertical foundation crack about 12" above grade. It's widest spot prob barely even 1/16" Looks like a small settlement surface crack (I hope). Other crack is same but in the corner where house foundation intersects with garage stem wall. Basement is fully finished so can't see the inside. Anyway what's the best way to patch this up instead of using any concrete caulking material I'm looking for something more permanent. Maybe a thin quick set mortar? I'd rather use a mortar but not sure if the crack is too small for it. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1010.PNG
    IMG_1010.PNG
    370.6 KB · Views: 23
Can you show a wider view of the area(s)? Looks more like a joint in the close up.

Unless you are seeing water I don't think that is a big deal. They left the forms on to long and got a little shrinkage at the join in the forms.

As previously mentioned, its probably just a surface defect. It does not need repair.

Foundation wall can crack, it happens all the time. Companies exist that basically all they do is fix water leaks from cracks in foundation walls. If your wall cracked, it would not be just 12" long surface crack at the top, it would crack through, and all the way from top to bottom of the wall. And when you got a heavy rain, you would know about it. Then the proper fix would be to dig down to the footings, clean the wall, put a bitumous goop on the wall, maybe a few feet wide, protect with dimple membrane, and fill the hole back up.

As previously mentioned, its probably just a surface defect. It does not need repair.

Foundation wall can crack, it happens all the time. Companies exist that basically all they do is fix water leaks from cracks in foundation walls. If your wall cracked, it would not be just 12" long surface crack at the top, it would crack through, and all the way from top to bottom of the wall. And when you got a heavy rain, you would know about it. Then the proper fix would be to dig down to the footings, clean the wall, put a bitumous goop on the wall, maybe a few feet wide, protect with dimple membrane, and fill the hole back up.
Copy that thanks Steve, definitely not seeing any water in so I think you're correct it just being a surface fracture. I
Dug down past the mulch andnit stops after about 2" below mulch. I made a repair anyway with some DAP concrete repair for cosmetic purposes .

In my area we would "parge coat" it. In your case you could probably find something at the big box in a quart container. What ever they have in the smallest size. Usually there is an exterior grade parge coating that has an additive. I think it's latex or maybe even a little epoxy not totally sure but you want it to have a little flexibility. Then painters tape on the sides of the area, for sharp finish lines. and cram it in the crack. Pull the tape off while it's still wet and move on to the next project. If you can't fine it you can also uses the exterior finish grade stucco with latex additives in. Apply in the same method.

As stated in other comments it probably doesn't have to be fixed, but if you get water or snow buildup in the area you want to prevent it from getting in the crack and freezing. You may need to dig down a ways to get to the end of the crack so it isn't wicking moisture into it either and then freezing and expanding.

Last edited:
In my area we would "parge coat" it. In your case you could probably find something at the big box in a quart container. What ever they have in the smallest size. Usually there is an exterior grade parge coating that has an additive. I think it's latex or maybe even a little epoxy not totally sure but you want it to have a little flexibility. Then painters tape on the sides of the area, for sharp finish lines. and cram it in the crack. Pull the tape off while it's still wet and move on to the next project. If you can't fine it you can also uses the exterior finish grade stucco with latex additives in. Apply in the same method.

As stated in other comments it probably doesn't have to be fixed, but if you get water or snow buildup in the area you want to prevent it from getting in the crack and freezing. You may need to dig down a ways to get to the end of the crack so it isn't wicking moisture into it either and then freezing and expanding.
Thanks for the info. I dug down below grade to see how far down the crack goes and it's literally stops about 1.5" below the dirt. I taped off and put a bead of DAP concrete foundation repair on it for now just so moisture or snow piled up doesn't have a chance to wick down in there.

Back