Best way to remove paint from tile and cabinets?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
I had to paint the ceiling in the kitchen again. I dripped some on the tile and a few drips on the cabinets as well. The paint is 4 days old at this point.

A painter buddy of mine told me denatured alcohol will remove from both without damaging the tile or cabinet.

Is this true? I know I should test in an inconspicuous area first. Is the best way in your experience?

Also, what about wall texture stuck on tile and various other things like outlet covers?

Tile (ceramic) is pretty tough. You can use just about anything within reason to remove splatters on that. I've even used a razor blade and scrubbed paint spots off with no problem. Cabinets, yes, whatever you use it would be a good idea to test in an inconspicuous area first as it will depend on the type of finish you have on the cabinets. I use isopropyl alcohol all the time to pre-clean when doing sign work. I've never had an issue with it damaging any surface I've lettered. Been using it for well over 30 years.

Tile is easy. Assuming it was latex paint, use a single edged razor blade and pour small amounts of acetone on the spots. The paint will dissolve and come up. However, acetone is a strong solvent, so use gloves unless you want your skin to absorb it into your body (NO). The cabinets are a big problem. If they are stained, solvents could strip the stain finish. We use acetone to remove food and skin oils from table tops before refinishing .... so you have to be smart.

Best way, prevent it from happening in the first place.
I alway tape up cheap plastic drop cloths to protect the cabinets, painters drop cloths on the floor.
Well worth the time and money.
Been there done that, had to pay to have a hardwood floor refinished when I cheaped out and used news paper and an old sheet instead of doing it right.

Latest posts

Back