Best way to secure storage rack to concrete wall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-tlb-

Reaction score
So I'm looking to hang some steel constructed lumber storage racks in my garage.

The wall I want to hang them on is painted concrete block.

These racks are rated for a few hundred pounds and it's possible they may see that.

I did a little research and I *think* I'm leaning towards wedge anchors but I was hoping someone could chime in on if these would be the best thing for this application.

I have rotary hammer so getting the holes in place shouldn't be a problem.

I can attach links to the racks, etc but didn't want to do that initially because this is my first post on this forum and wasn't sure what's ok.

Alright, thanks for any feedback
-Mike

Welcome to House Repair Talk!

Post the link, as long as you don't start spamming you're welcome to be here.

Are the walls solid grouted?

Honestly, I have no idea. Is there a way I can determine this?

I'm at work at he moment but when I get home i can check if there's a way to do so.

If you couldn't already tell I'm not much of a concrete / masonry buff heh - Always love learning new things though..

Thanks

I just did some reading on "solid grouting". Please correct me if I'm wrong but from what I gather this is basically includes filling the cavity of the blocks.

I don't believe this is the case in my home. The last couple times I've gone through the outer walls (running wire, etc.) I believe they are mostly "hollow".

Would the wedge anchors still be a good fit in this case?

There's also the toggle-style but it seems these are generally rated for light-medium duty at best. Not sure if they'd be up to the task.

Any thoughts?

With a block wall I would most likely run a PT 4x4 from the floor all the way up past the top plate and attach the top to one of the joists and also the top plate and just a couple Tapcons to the wall. Then you have wooden structure to lag into that you can build out from or attach these ready made adjustable racks to.

Attaching to the blocks you always have the unknown of how good did the anchors hold.

When you start loading lumber on these it will get heavy quickly.

I would anchor into the mortar joints, as opposed to the field of the blocks.

I wouldn't rely on Wedge anchors or anything that depends on outward pressure when dealing with cinder blocks because they break too easily.
I'd lean towards some 5/16 - 1/2 toggle bolts.

Bud's suggestion of vertical wood posts to anchor the racks into is the best idea. I have those same racks but they are lagged into a wood frame.

if you do use Tapcons, I have found that screwing them in BY HAND, is much preferred to using power driver, as you can "feel" when they get tight, and not strip them out..... it could be that my issue was caused by my home being built in 1960, and the type of blocks that were used, ymmv...... I would agree with Bud16415, I sleep better with a stud behind any shelves, that are either resting on the floor below, or suspended securely from a rafter above.....

I agree with adding a post, tied in to the structure above.

Using wedge anchors is iffy because you never know if you will drill into the hollow area or a solid part of the concrete block.

Tapcons are great, but tend to snap or fail pretty often, if power driven, at least for me anyway.

Drill nice accurate and clean holes, and drive in the Tapcons by hand.

Even so, you will likely have a few Tapcons that don’t grab well, or that might snap when cranking them down.
Just move on to a new hole location.

The nice thing about the wood posts is if you space them something less than 8’ outside to outside you can screw up a sheet of the white painted peg board (garage board) and then you can hang all kinds of junk under the wood storage.

Latest posts

Back