Big Black Curtains.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baptist

Reaction score
My brother and I just moved into an apartment in a converted mill in Vermont. The high ceilings and big windows are great, but the baseboard heating is expensive and the hanging white plastic blinds (venetian?) don't keep out cold or light.
I want to hang some big black drapes. 10' by 6'. I'm envisioning a really thick velevety material that will insulate and help provide some solar heating (the window's face south) but I don't know where to find the material. I went into Joann's Fabric store and their stuff was all expensive. They don't have to be brand new, as long as I can clean them up.
Any ideas where to get big pieces of felty black cloth?

Have you considered using a dye on whatever fabric you can find?

Tom in KY, maybe a little Grecian Formula on some gray material.

Use an area rug. You should be able to find some at flea markets and just spray paint them. The heavier material will be a better insulator also.

Go to Durasol.com and find a local dealer for a vertical interior/exterior awning. Hundreds of choices in fabric and automated also.

DO a Google search on "insulated drapes" hundreds of sites come up. Wal-Mart even has them.

Back