House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevor

Reaction score
My Parents' house needs a lot of work. They have neglected it for over a decade and it shows. Rotting wood, horribly peeling paint, weeds and termites. The list goes on and on. It's ugly and very embarrassing. My question is: is there an optimal order in which these projects need to be taken care of? I'd like to hire a home inspector but my mom is a hoarder and she does not like to let people in the house. My mother gets in the way and keeps things from getting better. What should I do? I'm not handy. I'd like to hire someone for everything .

Welcome.

If they are both still alive and lucid, there is little you can do.

I agree with @Snoonyb and no one here is qualified to solve personal issues. It sounds like you also live there and possibly will someday own this home or you care about it and also your parents safety and well being and are looking for ways to make it better.

As to building I normally tell people start with the roof because if the roof is letting water in it will cause problems all the way down. In your case with termites there is a problem from the bottom up also. Termites also need water so you most likely have some of each.

There are some DIY solutions you can work on and weeds would be one. You don’t want any vegetation touching the house. Pull the weeds out.

Try and get the bugs taken care of if it isn’t already too late.

Know that people have to want to be helped. That was a hard lesson for me to personally learn in my life.

Welcome to the forum and I hope for the best of outcomes for you and your family. If you do hire or DIY some of the work stay engaged here on the forum and folks will offer helpful advice.

Thank you for the responses guys. Much appreciated.

I don't know where you live. but if you lived here in Missouri you could get the united way involved, or the state of elderly abuse. i know there is no physical abuse but your moms hording can be considered mental abuse. then the state can step in and get the city inspectors down there and start writing citations but hopefully not condemn it.

Back