Quantcast

Bind end to floor drain, fold up with water from washer

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Greal

Reaction score
Last week I ran my washing machine, which drains into a pipe in a finished basement wall. For the first time, the water backed up into the floor drain.

I snaked through the wall drain and it now drained fine for 1 load.

When I vacuumed the drain I found a blind end in concrete with a small opening. I can't fit my little finger in it... pics below. Is this common? Does meet code?

I believe that this also means that the drain pipe from the wall drain pipe and laundry tub is cracked and leaking into the ground under the concrete floor.

Should I replace these pipes? I have an interior French drain and sump and it doesn't smell, only runs when it rains.

Sparky617

Reaction score
Your picture didn't post. You should be able to have the line scoped by a plumber to see what's going on with the pipe. Better than unnecessarily busting up concrete.

Greal

Reaction score
So I'm guessing that I just had a terra cotta pipe that collapsed. It is hard to see in the pics, but at the level of the water there is an indentation to the left with a slit-like opening where I can feel concrete. There is a similar opening at the lip that you can see in red. I can't feel any smooth surfaces in the openings.

20200801_180101.jpg20200801_180110.jpg

Greal

Reaction score
I'm inclined to dig it up since it is completely collapsed so that I can show any prospective plumber the situation... or possibly replace the pipes myself. I feel like I get astronomical estimates when a tradesman can't see the problem and has to guess about the extent of the damage.

geochurchi

Reaction score
Hi, it’s a bit hard to tell what we are looking at here, I assume it is the open end of the pipe, where does it drain? What are you calling a blind end in the concrete?
Geo

Greal

Reaction score
We're looking down the drain after I removed the drain cover. The pipe should drain to the left, but there is just a blind end.

Latest posts