Black around nails? Any ideas...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatcatkev

Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hey everyone! So we rent an older home with wood floors. When we moved in, we put a bench up against against a wall (pictured) that is raised and does not touch the floor with the exception of the 4 feet.

Today for the first time in probably 16 months I moved the bench and noticed all of this discoloration under the bench. I don’t remember it being there before the bench but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t. It was only in the spot under the bench.

It feels completely normal. PAny idea what this is?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be investigating for moisture.

That looks like rust, have you had a spill or a leak near by or the room next to this.

It honestly didn’t feel moisture at all. It is right next to our kitchen but we can’t remember any spills.

The weird part, is it is only along the wall that it shares with our garage. I’m wondering if it is related to the cold at all? That area of the floor is much colder than any other spot.

You say it is a rental home and it looks to me like some repairs were done and the flooring was face nailed here and there in that area with likely the wrong kind of nails. Depending on how soon before you moved it it was done it could have rusted and bleed out into the wood over that time.

I would tell the homeowner and tell him it was nothing you did just to set the record straight. If it is a visual problem for you then you will have to see if he wants to repair that or not.

What part of the country are you in?

Probably used drywall nails.

Back