Black paint removal from brick

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verland

Reaction score
Does anyone know a good solution for removing black spray paint from brick? Ended up with some home vandalism and through using a wire brush and some 'spray paint grafitti remover' from home depot, it's better but still no where near where I'd like it to be. Thanks for any advice.

http://home.nctv.com/ajns/102311_2.JPG

' elephant snot ' OR ' beanee-doo ' by franmar - & stay OUT of the apron/vest stores - all they're got is 6mm plastic, chip brushes, & cheap paint

Last edited:
Is this damage outside or inside? If outside a sand blaster using crushed walnut shells will work. Inside I'd use a soy or citris based paint remover. Nontoxic

sandblasting should work. I have had some success with using a brick of the same color and sanding the wall but that is usually smaller spots. Also a wire wheel on a grinder or drill can remove some as well. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

]sandblast brick ? NEVER - NOT EVEN IF YOUR BROTHER-IN-LAW SEZ SO,,, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandbalasting of any brick will only make it lose it's hard candy shell.:eek:
I would also recommend against it.
Try the products already posted....they work on highway overpasses...why not your brick.:D

I suggested blasting with walnut shells not Black Beauty sand. It's used all the time on fiberglass boat hulls in my area to remove old copper bottom paint because it does not hurt the gell coating under the paint.
A liquid or gel paint remove may soften the paint but it will also cause it to flow deeper into the pores in the brick.

Back