Blinking ceiling can light

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGMcCallie

Reaction score
I have can lights installed in my ceilings. One of the can light comes on and then blinks and immediately goes out. I have replaced the bulb with new LED bulb but with same problem.

Do you think this is the problem with the fixture or the dimmer switch. The led bulb is dimmable.

I don't know the inner working of a can light. Does it have just wires or is there a transistor or something in the can light that would cause the problem? I have not tested the dimmer switch yet.

What is most likely problem, the fixture or the dimmer wall switch.

The fixtures are Halo brand.

Thanks

Is that the only fixture controlled by that dimmer.

If not, it's likely a bad connection in the fixture.

Is this a new installation or have you had this set up for some time and this just started to happen.

Did you make any other changes to this set up before this started to happen other than changing the bulb.

Most can lights have a thermal cutout switch in them; that could be bad.
That would be my idea as well. An LED should not overload a properly working thermal cutout.

Does it start flashing immediately? How long is it on before it flashes and what is the time frame for it to be off? A properly working thermal cutout will take a few minutes to cut the light off and then a couple of minutes for it to cool down enough to come back on. This happens when you put in too large of an incandescent bulb in the fixture. Since LEDs use a fraction of the power of an incandescent and don't generate much waste heat I doubt you could overload a good thermal cutout with an LED.

Process of elimination.
What happens when you put a incandescent bulb in the fixture?
What happens when you put the LED in a normal lamp socket?

Back