** Blocking Out the Neighbors **

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HauteShots

Reaction score
I just purchased a new property in Las Vegas a few weeks ago and I am trying to figure out the best way to block the neighbor on one side.

wc_outside_grill.jpg

As you can see the neighbors upstairs balcony looks right over into my property and the main area that I want blocked has my grill area in the way of planting bushes or trees.

Is it possible to attach or put planters on top of the wall that could support bushes that will grow large enough to block out the neighbor? If so what kind of bushes would grow in the hot, dry Nevada climate and what kind of planters could I attach?

I have also considered possibly planting trees on each side of the grill maybe?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

What type of construction is the wall? Block and mortar or wood framed. What type of plants would you want to plant to maintain privacy year round if it would support planters? Do you have a homeowners assn that may limit your ability to construct or modify structure?

...and welcome to House Repair Talk.

Thank you for your quick response and for welcoming me! The fence looks wood framed to me but I will double check when I go home for lunch. Of course I would like something that grows tall and think and I am open to suggestions. As far as the HOA, they will not limit me from planting what I want, but if I intend to put planters on top of the wall I would probably have to get my neighbors permission since half of it would technically be on her property. Getting written permission should not be a problem though. My neighbors on the other side have the same size wall but they have hedges growing that are now about 20 foot tall and successfully block me from seeing in their backyard/pool area from my upstairs balcony. Since I have the grill in the way I cant plant hedges like they did....

How about a framed in PVC lattice structure you could install on the wall. Then add a few large pots with bouganvillas, which would be allowed to climb into the lattice? Those plants should be able to handle the summer heat and are beautiful with their dark, rich colors.

Could you add flower boxes to the existing wall?
I could add flower boxes to the existing wall but what type of flowers would grow another 15 to 20ft? Maybe I could plant bushes but what kind of flower boxes are large enough to support bushes that can grow 15 to 20 ft tall?

Could you add flower boxes to the existing wall?
This is an interesting idea but my only concern would be the regular 30-50 mph wind gusts we get here all year long. Even with good PVC support I think they would not make it too long...

I would just start with some of those flower pots, like the one sitting next to your grill. Put them on top of the wall (if it will support them) and then plant something native in them. I found this website
Plant World Nursery - Lysiloma 'Fern of the Desert'
This "fern of the dessert" loks like it may provide decent blocking. They have lots of options, I would consult with them to see what would grow in a container and thrive in your area.

I was thinking some type of tall growing bush, you would have to have a pretty deep flower box, but it would keep you from having to put up a lattice structure if you didn't want to go the vine route.

That's 15-20 ft? That's a lot to cover.

How about a roll up screen for when you are out there, 2 painted flagpoles and make sure it is a mesh that you cannot see through, or even 2 of them that overlap so the wind goes through.
Possible outdoor movie screen?:D

How about a roll up screen for when you are out there, 2 painted flagpoles and make sure it is a mesh that you cannot see through, or even 2 of them that overlap so the wind goes through.
LOL! on the movie screen!

That's actually a great idea, a lot of places are selling projectors really cheap right now.

Skyrocket juniper trees are narrow with a rounded base and come to a point at the top of the tree. Juniper trees thrive in areas that are dry---and they tolerate cold extremely well. At maturity, the Skyrocket juniper can be 10 to 20 feet tall. Juniper trees are good windbreaks on the edge of the property, as a hedge, and for narrow walkways.

Read more: How to Plant Skyrocket Juniper Trees | eHow.com How to Plant Skyrocket Juniper Trees | eHow.com

Skyrocket juniper trees are narrow with a rounded base and come to a point at the top of the tree. Juniper trees thrive in areas that are dry---and they tolerate cold extremely well. At maturity, the Skyrocket juniper can be 10 to 20 feet tall. Juniper trees are good windbreaks on the edge of the property, as a hedge, and for narrow walkways.

Thanks for the info but unfortunately I live in the Nevada desert and they wont stand the extreme heat with no humidity...

Thanks for the info but unfortunately I live in the Nevada desert and they wont stand the extreme heat with no humidity...

Junipers come in a wide range of varieties including ground covers, shrubs and small trees. Junipers are usually densely covered with needles. Ground covers are mound shaped, shrubs grow in columns and the trees are pyramidal shaped. These narrow-leaf evergreens are aromatic. Junipers are dioecious, which means that the male plants produce the pollen and the female plants produce the berries. Junipers tolerate hot weather and poor, arid soils. Some junipers will grow well in the shade. Junipers are commonly used as ground covers, hedges, rock gardens and topiaries.

Read more: Types of Junipers | Garden Guides Types of Junipers | Garden Guides

skyrocket Juniper tree.gif

Planter boxes are a good idea but a couple of drawbacks come to mind. Watering the plants in the boxes might create some run off that stains the existing stucco wall the box sits on. Make sure any type of box or container is anchored down well. You wouldn't want the planter blowing off the wall and conking you on the head while standing at that grill. If you do go with planters there are some ornamental grasses that are good upward growers that would provide a nice screen

I think planter boxes and trees to the side of the grill sounds like a wonderful idea. Lol, I'm from MN so we are definitely from different climates but this thread caught my attention since I'm going through the same situation. My husband doesn't care about "privacy" but I am definitely concerned.

In the long run planting trees would be great. It will add shade and privacy to your home.

Adding some sort of bush or flowers would work by then again not sure if they could survive the Vegas summers

walloo.jpg

have you thought about doing something like this?

obviously the MS paint version may not be to scale!

but some sort of brick wall to blend in with the rest of your patio scheme, and have the same angle as the roof.

If its rounded off nicely in the front, with a nice top moulding, it would look pretty good i think

there is always the option of adding castle like brick window cut outs, anything that would flow with the angles of the existing patio

Last edited:
Back