Boost Heat for OutsideWater Heater

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de103065

Reaction score
I have a rental property with a water heater that is located in a storage shed that is next to a detached carport. So, the storage shed as about 10 to 15 yards from the house and the pipes are underground about maybe 6' to 8" deep that come up to the outside brick of the house and attach to pipes that come into the kitchen. There are two bathrooms and the water is not getting hot enough...maybe luke warm at best. The water heater still seems to be generating hot water from what I can tell. I'm having a plumber come out this week to take a look because it is beyond the scope of what I can do, but I wanted to get suggestions and recommendations on possible solutions so I can speak intelligently enough with the plumber. I don't know if the water is losing it's heat traveling from outside the house to inside the house or if there is some other issue. I'm wondering if there is a way to keep the water hot when it reaches the house or maybe add a smaller secondary water heater in the attic? What potential options are there? I'm trying to not spend a fortune replacing the water heater and trying to relocate it inside the house because there are not many options to put it inside the house. The attic is too small and there is very little other space to place it. I'm just curious what possible options there may be for this type of scenario. I used to live at the property before I started renting it out. So, I'm familiar with the issue, although I did get some hot water just not a lot. Thanks for any suggestions.

Where are you located? Must assume a warm climate if water line only inches deep.??

How long has this been doing this? Is it something new?

Is it a storage tank type water heater? Does it have temperature settings you may adjust?

Is there any type of mixing valve at the water heater?

You ask, "...if there is a way to keep the water hot when it reaches the house..."? Have you checked the temperature lose between the two locations?

The problem could be one(or a combination) of things.
--Water flow too high for unit to keep up.(What size unit is it? Storage capacity and recovery rate?)
--Temperature setting on unit set too low.(What's it set at?)
--If mixing valve present, may be getting fouled up and not doing it's job correctly.(Not an uncommon problem.)

Depending on the problem(s), one option is to run the water heater at a higher temperature and use mixing valve to temper it down to 120 degrees or so. This would increase the amount of 120 degree water available.
If you checked and found that there was a substantial amount of temperature loss through the underground piping, insulation would help. (I kinda doubt that's the problem.)

Last edited:
I'm located in Central Texas so we do have a warmer climate here, but can get some cold spells during the winter. This is not a new issue. It did occur when I lived there before I started using the property as a rental. Although, I did have semi-hot water, it wasn't a major issue. I've adjusted the temperature settings all the way up and at the kitchen sink the water is getting hot enough, not super hot, but reasonably so.

I have not checked the temperature lose between the two locations, which is likely the issue. I'll have to have the plumber do that. It is a 40 gallon tank and as indicated above the temperature setting is set to the highest, which I believe is 120 degrees. Now, the water flow being too high is something to bring up to the plumber and I'm not sure about the mixing value?? Excellent point to mention as well.

Beyond those to possible issues. Is that anything that can be done to correct the lose of temperature between the two locations? Temperature from the storage shed to temperature entering the house? Thanks for your reply and help! I appreciate it.

The buried piping would definitely have some heat loss and although that may be adding to your problem I doubt that is the problem.
Until someone simply checks the water temp at the two locations you won't know what it is. It can be calculated but better to just measure it.
If you do have a mixing valve, blending cold and hot water together at the heater, that is a likely candidate.

You may have missed reading some of my previous comments as I had added to it with an edit.

Example.....
Depending on the problem(s), one option is to run the water heater at a higher temperature and use mixing valve to temper it down to 120 degrees or so. This would increase the amount of 120 degree water available.
If you checked and found that there was a substantial amount of temperature loss through the underground piping, insulation would help. (I kinda doubt that's the problem.)

The last place I'd want a water heater is in the attic!
Pressure valve pops off, or it starts to leak and anything below will be destroyed.
Find and inside closet to locate it.
Could be lots of things wrong. just to name a few.
Undersized lines in and out of the heater, should have been 3/4".
Location to far away from where it's needed, and not buried deep enough, that's a given.
Older heater and the dip tube has rusted off.
If it's electric an element has burned out.

Back