Bosch 1199 VSR Hammerdrill - quit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bringing this old thread back just in case it helps anyone. My 1199VSR quit working a while ago, but I just got around to looking into it about a couple weeks ago. It had the same symptom where it was just 100% dead. I searched everywhere I could online for clues, because I certainly couldn't find any evidence of failure on the drill components. I finally took the electrical half of it completely apart as connecting power directly to the motor didn't do a thing. Checking for continuity in everything, I discovered the problem was in one of the little adapter modules that attach to the field windings. I wiggled it a little, and the spade connector came right out. I was relieved because I was very close to throwing in the towel. There are no signs on overheating, so it seems maybe those parts are susceptible to vibration. Anyway, I found a set of two on eBay for about $10. Threw it back together and she runs like new again.
I hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• Bosch modules.jpg
    Bosch modules.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 5
Bringing this old thread back just in case it helps anyone. My 1199VSR quit working a while ago, but I just got around to looking into it about a couple weeks ago. It had the same symptom where it was just 100% dead. I searched everywhere I could online for clues, because I certainly couldn't find any evidence of failure on the drill components. I finally took the electrical half of it completely apart as connecting power directly to the motor didn't do a thing. Checking for continuity in everything, I discovered the problem was in one of the little adapter modules that attach to the field windings. I wiggled it a little, and the spade connector came right out. I was relieved because I was very close to throwing in the towel. There are no signs on overheating, so it seems maybe those parts are susceptible to vibration. Anyway, I found a set of two on eBay for about $10. Threw it back together and she runs like new again.
I hope this helps someone.

I gave up and bought a new one. When I started looking at parts it didn't take long before the cost of repair, even DIY, would be higher than buying a new one. And I needed one for a project I was finishing up.

Usually the problem is the carbon brushes in these kinds of tools... bigger problem these days is finding someplace that still sells brushes... and at a reasonable price... a pair of new brushes may cost more than a low priced tool... home centers used to all have 'Sharon Assortment' drawers with brushes and all kinds of little parts, but those seem have disappeared... may find brushes online, though... need to know their dimensions and design peculiarities for generic ones... direct replacements may be expensive...
Some Asian tools ship with an extra set of brushes, but they also tend to eat brushes 10 times as fast as American tools... probably from poor brush materials... and you're lucky if can remember where you put the spare brushes... I put them inside the tool if there's room inside...

My neighbor offered me a free electric jack hammer. I plugged it in, and didn't work. I gave it back to him. Now I want to tear it apart to see if I could fix it.

Usually the problem is the carbon brushes in these kinds of tools... bigger problem these days is finding someplace that still sells brushes... and at a reasonable price... a pair of new brushes may cost more than a low priced tool... home centers used to all have 'Sharon Assortment' drawers with brushes and all kinds of little parts, but those seem have disappeared... may find brushes online, though... need to know their dimensions and design peculiarities for generic ones... direct replacements may be expensive...
Some Asian tools ship with an extra set of brushes, but they also tend to eat brushes 10 times as fast as American tools... probably from poor brush materials... and you're lucky if can remember where you put the spare brushes... I put them inside the tool if there's room inside...

The brushes were in good shape and I had continuity through them. Replacing those is about the only thing you can do before you get close to replacement cost of the tool when you start buying internal tool parts.

My neighbor offered me a free electric jack hammer. I plugged it in, and didn't work. I gave it back to him. Now I want to tear it apart to see if I could fix it.

Yeah, likely the brushes, switch, or 'hammer' broke...

Latest posts

Back