botched up paint job

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandy

Reaction score
My bathroom walls and ceiling were painted before being sanded properly. Is there something that can be done to make them presentable without too much fuss?
Sandy

Sand or even better, scrape the ridges off with a 6" metal taping knife and fill the pits and gouges with drywall compound. Lots of drywall jobs are left unfinished. This is how I repair them and finish them.

You'll have to sand and prime before you repaint. The whole job should take you about 4 days a few hours at a time.

Welcome to the forum,
My wife's name is Sandy,
Tom

Thanks for your help. I was in hopes that I could find something to put over it all to cover-up, maybe sponge paint,texture or something of that sort. As you have guessed I am a newbee at fixing stuff..... and my husband is definitely NOT a carpenter. He is the one that started to primer and paint before I had everything sanded enough. Oh well.... life goes on.

Rough textured paint could hold moisture and could eventually be a problem.

A bathroom needs slick walls with semi gloss paint. Mold can get started quickly in a bathroom.

Not that textured paint can't be done, it just might require more maintenance and cleaning.

Thanks for that info.... don't want mold clean up too!!! The texture thought is out completely. I was in hopes of a quick fix... this is a very old house that needs a complete make-over... or torn down, take your pick. You have probably run into this type of house ... no closets.... only added on nooks for closets.. house been added onto and nothing is level... and me lost in what to do or where to start.

How bad is it??

You may be able to just touch up the rough spots and spot prime and repaint.

Imperfections all over walls and ceiling. Bumps,raised marks from mudding. Can see where mudded over drywall tape. Mainly on joints where mudded over tape and in corners where dry wall sheets were joined. I couldn't hold up full size peices of dry wall on the ceiling so had to cut them down to where I could manage to hold them up. I really don't want to sand the whole thing down again and re-do it if I don't have to.

I remodeled my brother's kicthen and we used pre-primed beadboard on the ceiling and 2/3 the way up the walls, with a finish trim along the top edge. Looks fabulous, covered all the ugly problems, installed easily and when painted with a semi-gloss paint, it looks like new construction. (You can see a pic of it on my website portfoliio @ www.phinteriorsllc.com). You say you aren't handy so I would recommend hiring a handyman or basic carpenter to do this. Can be installed in one day, painted the next (remember to get it pre-primed). With all the time & elbow grease you save, it would be worth considering.

Sandy,

In my humble opinion (I am sooo not a pro), There is a quick fix. You'll need more mud and a good imagination. Slap the mud on the rough spots. Once they're all good and covered, use a smooth damp songe to smooth in some designs. As long as it remains a smooth suface, you can be creative as to the texture. Sand it smooth once it's dry (which may take longer then you think) and give it a good 1 or 2 coats of primer (I swear by Kilz in bathrooms and kitchens). Remember, a smooth surface is what you're going for, Square Eye is 100% right that your bathroom needs slick walls. You really want to be able to wipe them down, and you don't want stuff getting lodged in little crevices (that's how mold begins).
Good Luck!
And let us know how it turns out!

I've had to cover/hide plenty of rough spots, bumps & cover up after bad wall paper removal. Sponge painting with a glaze works wonderfully. I've found that applying a coat of primer/sealer first, works well for moisture areas. Next, apply a coat of the paint color you want to use. Mix some of your color with a little white paint & a little glaze...get a sponge & have fun. It will lighten up your color and give your paint a marbled look. I've done several rooms in each house I've lived in & rooms for others...you'd be amazed at how the color & finish contrast will cover all those imperfections in walls.

Back