Brand new fixer upper

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSmith728

Reaction score
Bought a new Lennar home in 2013. So far, driveway was redone due to it heaving and breaking, french drains installed due to yard flooding. Thank god it was under warranty for those. Also AC repair of $1500, only warranty on parts or would have been twice that price...

Should have bought a used home with problems already worked out.

There really isn't any such thing as a maintenance free home. New or previously owned things will need to be repaired from time to time.

I've been dealing with drainage issues in my yard since I bought new in 1999. The yard is a hill, you'd think the water would flow downhill and I wouldn't have wet spots, but nope.

On the AC I strongly recommend finding a good independent HVAC tech to maintain and service your systems every year. Having them serviced regularly will keep them running and prevent many failures. Plus if you do have a breakdown he's much more likely to put you at the top of his service calls for the day because you are a regular customer. Mine has been keeping my 17-year-old systems running while many of my neighbors have had theirs replaced. ARS is really good at selling new systems to my neighbors. My guy says we'll know when we have to replace them. With two in college right now I'm trying to keep mine humming along as long as possible.

Last edited:
Back