Break Granite Countertops

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curmudgeon10

Reaction score
I am having a kitchen remodel, and am replacing old granite counter tops. Two pieces, one a 14 long counter depth run that contains the sink and the other approximately 9 x 6 (the 6 foot dimension is diminished for a cook top cutout) for the island need to be broken up so my local hired labor force can safely get the stuff out of the house.

I am not demolishing the underneath cabinetry, so whatever method I choose has to take that into account.

I plan to break each piece in two, across the shortest dimension. Anyone know of a good way to do this? I have a fair number of masonry tools..

I suspect using a brickset and 3-lb. maul, with a few good smacks starting near a front corner/edge, is all it would take to crack the stuff. And not nearly as messy (or unhealthy) as what nealtw suggested.

This has been overtaken by events, as my cabinet maker and I demolished the long run pretty much as BridgeMan suggested, using a brickset and just a hammer, while wedging the piece up enough to get some yield space. I think I'm good on the big island piece now too. Thanks.

I always look at salvage first, keep those re-hab stores going. We have used building material shops that would take it out and sometimes buy it too.

Yea, I did a pretty good survey of those types of businesses near my house and came up with a goose egg. The best I could get was "if you donate and deliver, we'll sell it (Habitat)."

It looks like everything but the banana shaped island piece will be used by one of our daughters, who has a friend who can rework the dimensions. The island piece gets hauled off by the new granite people.

Back