Breaking out power receptacles into own circuit breaker

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would start out making a map of the whole house and all the outlets and light locations. Turn off one breaker at a time and see what is on the same breaker. Then I would pull all the outlets and see what ones are feeding another and what ones are the end of a line. I would then try and determine what outlets are feeding others and how the circuit is strung together by whatever method I could figure out, like just using logic as an example back to back outlets on two sides of a wall may feed each other or maybe they went around the room and a string. When that didn’t work I would then start opening circuits where one fed another and see what goes out.

By this point you should have an idea of how many you want on a breaker and how you want to break it up. Then I would look for the easiest of those broken up circuits to get a new wire back to the panel.

At that point hopefully the questions Joe asked will allow you to add some new breakers run some new wires (the correct size) to the most logical points in what you have now to minimize your time and cost and destruction to your home.

If you think the house was mis-wired by the previous owner as to putting too much on a circuit most likely he made other mistakes and things not compliant with code and you should correct them at the same time. Like proper use of GFCI’s etc.

Once you get your map corrected with the new wiring make sure to label everything in the panel and mark the inside of the outlet covers with the breaker that controls them and keep your drawing near the panel for a year from now when you forget what you did, or the next owner.

That’s how I would do it I’m not a pro just a homeowner like you.
Very good answer ! :) Very much the way I would do it .

I have held a journeyman's license for over 35 years & now semi-retired . But never did a whole lot of residential . Mostly commercial .

If no attic & no under floor crawl space , this represents a challenge to do it well without making it look bad or tearing stuff up .

If you know what crown molding is , set at a 45 degree angle at the junction of the top of the pall & the ceiling , will provide a passage for some cable . ( around here , Romex is used for house wiring . )

Another thing you need to do is see how many new circuit breakers can be safely added to your existing panel / loadcenter .

If you are OK with cutting & replacing ( and painting ) , then it gives you more options .

God bless
Wyr

Back