Brick spalling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BER7777

Reaction score
Does this brick spalling look concerning? Any suggestions on the mitigation?
spalling_1_brick_zoomIn.JPG spalling_1_brick_zoomOut.JPG spalling_3_bricks.JPG

The bricks need to be replaced, but the primary concern is what is causing this to occur. Look for voids where mortars missing or any spot that would allow water intrusion.

A note to add:
This house is only 33 years old, and the spalling bricks can be seen at different locations on different walls. In the last picture, I see at least 3 bricks with this failure.
I am trying to decide to buy or to move on.

The bricks need to be replaced, but the primary concern is what is causing this to occur. Look for voids where mortars missing or any spot that would allow water intrusion.
Thank you oldognewtrick. The mortar appears in a good shape (see first picture - the mortar sticks out and is not damaged). I suspect that during the construction the builder mixed the batch with incorrect brick.

I've seen homes twice that age that don't have spaling bricks, but the majority of my brick knowledge is on refractory brick, not architectural brick.

My gut tells me to walk away .

Run away! I have this same issue but not on any of the brick on the house walls only the brick that's low, around the base of the from half-wrap porch which is at grade. Like all porous material, water gets behind the brick, becomes trapped and when the temps drop it will freeze. Freezing water expands which then causes the brick face to "blow out". I'd get in the attic and roof and inspect more throughly because it's either a defective batch of bricks or what's more likely, the water intrusion. Investigate

Also could be bad batch of mortar maybe but the structure looks like a very nice solid build. Them bricks look suspect. Were they reclaimed from another structure? A structure that could have had fire damage?

Back