Broken Beyond Repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much Chris, you have been too kind and beyond generous. I am looking for someone to help me seal that side, so hopefully that part of the stress will be eased real soon. I will keep you posted, again thank you.

applebear, do you go to church? pretty good place to meet and greet, they also tend to band together and help each other

If you attend a church, men's groups have been known to help folks out who need a hand. Or do you know someone who's active on a local church?

Contact your local Lions club if you have one, we do this sort of project all the time up here, because..as Lions . we serve. No questions asked.
Its possible other organizations may also do service work.
Good luck.

Rotary Club also helps sometimes.

Frodo, I do not go to church. I've never had a lot of experience with them if honest.

Haven't heard of the Rotary Club, but I *think* we do have a lions club or at least one around the area. There's a Lion's club recycle bin down at one of the stores that people take their old newspapers or cans.

I'll ask around and see what I can find out.

Thank you for the suggestions.

You know Neal, you showed me this before and I even sent it to contractor asking is this how you do it? He's like oh yeah yeah...it'll be sealed tight. Then when it came time...he'd just do it the way he wanted. Every time I questioned something, he'd say what I wanted to hear and then do it another way.

He bullied and guilted me a lot using my disability and income, until I started to ask him how he would feel with just plywood protecting him when the weather was dropping below zero. I won't even go into what his reply was to that, the guy was unbelievable.

Sorry, think that's a little of the anger coming out that we talked about before. :(

Last edited:
I am so sorry you are going through this. I'm sure it has been so hard, but you are doing the right thing reaching out to ask for the help that you need now. You should never feel embarrassed or ashamed to ask for help to make your home safe and comfortable and fix someone else's mistakes. There are a lot of good people willing to help any way they can.

I am not qualified to advise you on the work your house needs, but I work with people who have disabilities. If you let me know where you live (county and state) I may be able to help you find programs and organizations that serve people with disabilities in your area that may be able to find sources of money and willing hands to help finish the job. You can send me a message if you prefer to keep it private.

Done! I hope we get April the help she needs to correct this wrong doing by that idiot!

Thank you all, I really do appreciate it...if anything has come from this, I know some care and that alone is a lot. Whatever happens, please know that.

Frodo, just maybe...volunteers may be a little rough, I'm going to see what my extherapist says there. I have had a husband/wife friends in NY suggest they may be interested in making a trip, though I'm not sure how serious they were. We will see where things go.

We do hope that people who have been helped here will want to pay it forward and again this would be a good place to do that.
http://www.gofundme.com/lj4qxs?fb_action_ids=10205155202896377&fb_action_types=og.shares

OK we have that under way and hopefully we can see some success there, we do have to start working on the plan of action.
1, with Chris's generousity we have the material to keep the water out of the house,
2 we will be looking forward to hear that Applebear has found some way to get that installed
3 someway to raise some funs to make repairs to the house is atleast livible--- underway.

The rest of the list may be long and will be adjusted to the amount of funds that are raised.

So what was on the list for the contractor.

You said you locked up some of his tools, what tools do you have, his and yours.

What are you capable of doing, can you swing a hammer drive a screw, use a saw, if not is there some of this stuff you think you would like to learn. This a self help site.

Contractor was suppose to do siding, all windows, 2nd door, front door and fence. Also fusebox, he 'supposedly' had someone lined up...later he said he would do the work and the guy would sign off on it [I said no to this, and I'm guessing that was his original plan because he tried to pull that stunt twice]. He was suppose to do some jobs after these, but we obviously never go that far.

I would have to look to see what tools he left behind [in basement]...I know there was a case of blade attachments [I assume the base of it was there somewhere too], a handsaw, extension cord, metal ladder [not full size, one of those that folds out like ^] and I think drill. I assume some other stuff, I didn't look real closely.

I have 2 or 3 windows out in garage, but I think they are all the wrong size...except maybe one small one, that was suppose to be for bathroom [he said it couldn't be used for some reason, but I didn't understand his reasoning]. Is a few plywood sheets and some pull apart insulation.

I think I could probably work a hammer, saw, etc...I'm willing to try. I don't do well with holding up or carrying real heavy things, but I can handle most other things. Can't get on my knees, for anything. I've done some minor patching, sanding and painting.

Back