Broken Beyond Repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I need help with the leftover hole in shower. The hardware store was absolutely of no help. They suggested wall cover/paper and spackling, then painting over. And my favorite filling it in with foam. I explained it has to be accessible and that even if I could use foam, it would take like 3 cans. lol

Ok so I need to take a shower tonight, no getting around it. The only solution I can think of is to tape a plastic bag over it? It's probably only going to give me one shower before having to repeat the process...but that's all I'm coming up with.

The store had no boxes that would go over it, or plastic glass or sheets that I could drill over it. So it looks like I'm back to the plywood? or looking online and ordering something. I really wanted it to look as much wall as possible, but I suppose in the end it's going to be whatever works.

Suggestions, links to boxes suggested earlier [as I'm not overly sure what we're talking about there]?

If you cut a piece of plywood exactly to size, spackle it smooth and then paint it the same color as the wall, i think you will be happy with that.

I just went back to look at the pic. Cut the drywall back to make a good looking squared-off hole. Better if you cut it back to a stud on either side. Then you'll have something to screw the 'cover' onto.

As for the other problem; put a motion detector light on that side of the house. adjust the setting to the test position or the shortest cycle it can give you. you can always claim you put it up so you can let the dogs out at night

Last edited:
If you cut a piece of plywood exactly to size, spackle it smooth and then paint it the same color as the wall, i think you will be happy with that.

I just went back to look at the pic. Cut the drywall back to make a good looking squared-off hole. Better if you cut it back to a stud on either side. Then you'll have something to screw the 'cover' onto.

As for the other problem; put a motion detector light on that side of the house. adjust the setting to the test position or the shortest cycle it can give you. you can always claim you put it up so you can let the dogs out at night

Ok thanks, I'll try that. I may have to ask the electrician to see if he can push that box back better...somethings off about it, doesn't quite fit and I'm guessing that would interfere with getting anything to screw down flat over it.

I was just down snooping through all the tools the contactor left behind, should be something in there to help me get the job done. I have some drywall squares down there as well, though I think they tend to keep it away from bathrooms.

I thought of that too, lol but they all ready have a motion light back there and don't think they'd much care. Plus can't use it as an excuse for my dogs, is like 5 feet of land back there and my only door is up front. Hm maybe a system that shoots water when voices get too loud...you know, like when the cats on your counters and you give them a squirt to get off. :p

Hope so Neal, was first time I've ever heard it and I've been here over 10 years. Maybe just because the side was exposed all winter...long as it stays away, I'll let it be one of lives little unsolved mysteries.

When it was exposed may have swelled a little with moiture or new wet lumber installed, takes a while to dry and shrink. That's why you hear about settling cracks in new houses.

I'm late to the party. I wonder if plywood would be such a good idea? I mean, it would have to be covered in some waterproofing-- Thompson's Water Seal? What about some kind of mason board? They might not carry much of that these days, but I have some old stuff that is boards that look like tile for a kitchen backsplash. You can find regular plastic sheet thingies... There was some sort of plastic wall material.. I'm trying to find the link now.
Maybe some FRP wall board? And as for the box sticking out, you could shim the studs to make the wall panel flush.

Too bad it has to be a very tight seal, bc it would be cool to have some sort of door that could swing open-- sort of like a little medicine box but with the kind of seals used on fridges/freezers and if its ugly, maybe you could hang a shower caddy over it.

First, let me say i'm so sorry for what happened to you .i have had to fix jobs like this .people like him is what good builders and honest people that try to do what's right ,run in to and what makes everyone look bad .i have been building for 40 years and it's hard for people to trust after this has happened. I understand this just wish i was close by and you would have myself and crew there to fix this mess .hang in there and it will all come together .low lifes like him is why the world is like it is ,god bless

First, let me say i'm so sorry for what happened to you .i have had to fix jobs like this .people like him is what good builders and honest people that try to do what's right ,run in to and what makes everyone look bad .i have been building for 40 years and it's hard for people to trust after this has happened. I understand this just wish i was close by and you would have myself and crew there to fix this mess .hang in there and it will all come together .low lifes like him is why the world is like it is ,god bless

Thank you for the kind words. I know there are a lot here that would help if they were closer and I appreciate the thought. It's been hard around here, over a year later and I sit in close to the same state. Someone will step in, give me hope and then yank it back out of my hands. I try not to be bitter, but admit it's hard.

You become a thing of gossip, instead of a person to help...it's easier to be seen as a thing, than a person. I fear people, some times even hate them because of what he did to me. I'm sorry people like that exist make it that much harder on good workers such as yourself.

But it's nice to hear things like what you said that give you a little hope that not all are the same...maybe I'll be lucky enough to meet some and stop being a 'thing.' :p

Thank you for your kind words and compassion, it's very appreciated at this time.

Has anyone heard from applebear? I hope everything is ok.

I am sorry, have been feeling very down and don't want to lay that on the group. I visit often though, just tend to lurk in the shadows. Some times I try to join in...Neal says he likes to think of it as that I'm having a better day.

I try, I try. xx

It's ok. I understand. I do hope things will get better for you soon.

I know you're not really in the "advice" stage anymore but I thought I would share some anyway(it is the internet, were advice is always given needed or not, after all).

Learn a new skill. Maybe not just one. Maybe learn them all, and keep going until you find one that absorbs your every waking thought OR maybe just one you enjoy. Heck if you try enough you might even find one that you can master. Our disabilities slow us down at some things, but you might find that your disabilities make you MORE capable at other things.

I don't know about grants and such that could help you, but if you have a local community college schedule and appointment with financial to see if you qualify for anything. I HIGHLY recommend community college as your first choice. If nothing is close then I recommend online courses. If you can't get anything funded for online courses then default to the internet education. Keep digging till you find something you love.

Once you've found it share it with others. It's a great way to pay things forward. Cooking? Welding? Calligraphy? Writing? Onigiri? You really don't know were learning something new can take you but you gotta let it take you there. Every time you feel like your down in the dumps and you're brain is telling you all the bad things about life don't try and change your brain. I honestly don't think you can, but what I do think you can do is change what your doing at the moment it's in the dumps, and learning is great for that. Sit down in front of a computer and research anything. Did you know there is a Japanese art called Dorodungo where you can polish dirt into a shiny ball? Seriously! Whenever I try and "force" myself to be positive I fail, but when I'm learning something it doesn't matter if I'm positive or negative I'm just learning something.
Have some fun! Your brain is one of the most unique things ever to exist, even if it's depressed you should be sharing it with others. Maybe in a funny way, maybe in a weird way, just roll with it.

Your situation sucks... big time, keep working at getting it better, but for those moments where you're not feeling that awesome fill your brain with something new.

I know you're not really in the "advice" stage anymore but I thought I would share some anyway(it is the internet, were advice is always given needed or not, after all).

Learn a new skill. Maybe not just one. Maybe learn them all, and keep going until you find one that absorbs your every waking thought OR maybe just one you enjoy. Heck if you try enough you might even find one that you can master. Our disabilities slow us down at some things, but you might find that your disabilities make you MORE capable at other things.

I don't know about grants and such that could help you, but if you have a local community college schedule and appointment with financial to see if you qualify for anything. I HIGHLY recommend community college as your first choice. If nothing is close then I recommend online courses. If you can't get anything funded for online courses then default to the internet education. Keep digging till you find something you love.

Once you've found it share it with others. It's a great way to pay things forward. Cooking? Welding? Calligraphy? Writing? Onigiri? You really don't know were learning something new can take you but you gotta let it take you there. Every time you feel like your down in the dumps and you're brain is telling you all the bad things about life don't try and change your brain. I honestly don't think you can, but what I do think you can do is change what your doing at the moment it's in the dumps, and learning is great for that. Sit down in front of a computer and research anything. Did you know there is a Japanese art called Dorodungo where you can polish dirt into a shiny ball? Seriously! Whenever I try and "force" myself to be positive I fail, but when I'm learning something it doesn't matter if I'm positive or negative I'm just learning something.
Have some fun! Your brain is one of the most unique things ever to exist, even if it's depressed you should be sharing it with others. Maybe in a funny way, maybe in a weird way, just roll with it.

Your situation sucks... big time, keep working at getting it better, but for those moments where you're not feeling that awesome fill your brain with something new.

You're not wrong, and I appreciate the words. If I'm honest though, I'm just plain exhausted. I had a time limit on loan with bank and now that it's lapsed, things are getting messy [as if they weren't all ready]. It's hard to consume your mind with a hobby, trait or activity, when the entire time you are just trying to breath.

I've been having a lot of surgeries lately, so that just adds bricks to my chest. I have learned some ways to pay it forward however [though half of the winter, I haven't been able to due to those surgeries :/], I started just mowing or weed wacking neighbors yards....no word, just do it. Same with shoveling out some of their drives and walks. I look for the ones that I think may need it most, such as the woman down the street battling cancer or just the lady across the way who works a lot.

Who knows, maybe some of the things you mention are in the cards down the road, but right now....I'm just fighting to keep my head above the water. These surgeries are taking it out of me, the stress is taking it out of me...I just need some things to give I think. In the meantime, when I'm able, paying it forward seems to make me feel best.

I haven't posted an update in ages, mostly as there wasn't anything to update about. I now have the funds for materials ONLY, as 1] that was the conditions of the person donating and 2] osha made it clear the old siding had to be volunteer base in able to take it down without having to get a contractor specially bonded for the type of it.

That's the good news. Bad news, the people originally helping discontinued. Another person stepped in, but they are very scarce. They work, so I have to be respectful of that. I have other people willing to come help when he says when [for taking down siding, extra hands, etc]...they just don't know how to put in windows, doors or siding so he's our experienced hands.

With that, we got most of the siding up on the side that was exposed. All that is left is the upper lip that goes under the roof ridge. Then we have 3 sides left. Bank is applying pressure, though they admit I have proven I'm responsible and committed...still, money is money. *sigh*

Anyhow, some pictures of the nearly finished side. I had some fun with the sparrows ripping bits off the insulation and making nests, but we extended the siding to evict them. Other than that, it's just a matter of being patient and trying to keep the bank off me in the meantime [to their defense, it is about to the two year mark since this all began]. :hide:

Last edited:
Back