Bug Foggers

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house92

Reaction score
I’d like opinions about the effectiveness of bug foggers. I’m talking about the typical ones in a can made by Raid and Hot Shot.
I don’t use them in living areas, I typically use them a couple of times a year in crawl spaces. I don’t have any particular bug issues, but I might not have had any anyway. It’s kinda like the septic tank treatments that are flushed down the toilet.
How do you know if it really works?

I’ve read some glowing reviews, and then I’ve read some that indicate they are no good. Some say they are more of a repellant than a killer; therefore, bugs that might have hung out in your crawl space might move to the walls and rooms of the house.

Opinions?

I think they work fairly well. I had a year where crickets invaded my basement and the fogger worked to reduce them. It's hard to say how well they actually work, because you usually don't know if the next bug didn't just wander in recently or if it was there the whole time

I find more specialized products instead of general bug foggers. They do the job, but have to be applied every now and then.

I forget the brand, but the best ones I ever had were a type that were activated by water.
You put the can of fogger in a pan of very shallow water, and gradually the fogger gave off a cloud of very fine misty fog, which got into every little crevice and cranny.

Not bug infestation, but pests of a larger variety. I had (think I may still have it somewhere) An electric fogger. I forget what I put in it, got the can of fog stuff from my neighbor years ago. I had just built a shed and didn't have all the soffit installed yet. The shed was an addition to an existing shed, there were 2 different elevations. So, raccoons climbed from the lower roof into the overhang of the taller roof and made their home in the attic. I discovered them by unknowingly going in the attic to get something and they started climbing the walls. I got down the pull down stairs in record time. How to evict them? I finished all the soffit except for where I saw where they had been going in and out. Then set the fogger up in the attic and closed the stairway. It didn't take but a few minutes and they started popping out and running away. Once I was certain they had all left I put up the last of the soffit. Never saw them again, they didn't even write. lol.

It was very effective in this instance.

Back