Build Thread: LED Light Strip with Automatic Door Switch for Kitchen Pantry or Closet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That plug on the end of the LED strip is actually an 12v adapter, you can snip the wire and stick the wires in the 4 holes you see there.

Maybe I did not ask my question correctly. What is the source of the electricity that allows the switch to work and the lights to turn on?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

After tying the plug's grounding wire to the neutral wire from the wall, everything fires up great.

"In building wiring, a bootleg ground is an electrical ground that is wired from the neutral side of a receptacle or light fixture in an older 2-wire home. [1] This essentially connects the neutral side of the receptacle to the casing of an appliance or lamp. It can be a hazard because the neutral wire is a current-carrying conductor. In addition, a fault condition to a bootleg ground will not trip a GFCI breaker or a receptacle that is wired from the load side of a GFCI receptacle. Bootleg grounding is illegal and against code in many places. A safer and legal alternative to bootleg grounding (where a local electrical code allows it) is to install a GFCI and leave the ground screw unconnected, then place a label that says "No Equipment Ground" on the GFCI and all downstream receptacles."

But I will say that the most voltage above ground on the neutral wire is probably ~ 3vac. I guess in principle someone could feel a shock if they had very low skin/body resistance, less than 3v/(.001A) = 3000 ohms. You'd almost have to soak your hands in salt water.

Last edited:
Back