Building A Deck Over Brick Patio Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodo

Reaction score
Hi there,
I want to build a composite deck 19f x 9f. on top of my brick patio. The patio is not in great condition and is not level. Is there any suggestion how to build a base to support the deck? Is there any companies that offer to build just the frames?

Depending on your local codes you still may need footers and beams doesnt matter how high off ground it is. Some townships around me do no require building permits for decks under 30 inches high. So you would be safe to build it anyway you feel safe. But not all downs are like that.
Im sure you can find a contractor to do whatever you want but they would have to follow codes if building permit is required.
Personally I would feel safe with 2x6 floor joists laying on old patio with shims where needed. I would make sure shims are attached somehow. Also shim floor joists midspan.

Sure you should be able to find someone to build the base for you. Call around for estimates and their bid should detail charges such as permits, etc....

However, for us to help you we need more information.
Is this deck going to be physically attached to the house?
How high will the deck be?
Are you just going for a wood overlay over top of the brick patio or will this be raised with railing and stairs?

You can find someone to build anything you want, the question is, should you.
If the bricks have moved, that might indicate poor soil condition below with poor drainage maybe effected by frost. Anything built on top of it will still be effected. I would like to see a photo of what you have and how high do you want to raise it.

Back