Building a Deck Over Dry Patio

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobd

Reaction score
I am wondering how others have covered their decks to provide a dry area underneath. I have built a deck structure 16' x 32' attached to 2nd floor level of the house by a 2" x 10" ledger board bolted. House siding is Hardiboard cement board so flashing will have to be caulked/fastened to outside surface of siding. Have approved building permit and design meets FL Building code. Deck area is joists on 16" centers covered with 5/8" OSB which is covered with waterproof leak barrier material (GAF Weather Watch Grandular Mineral Surfaced Leak Barrier). I have enough 12" x 16' PVC hollow core deck boards (manufacturer u/k-see atch photo) and stainless screws to cover the deck but have reservations about water getting under the deck boards and causing problems, ie. mold, etc, and expansion problems. I am thinking of using grooved 2" x 6" PT boards around the perimeter to cover the hollow core (to keep out pests). Location is Florida coastal area. I would appreciate any comments, suggestions or criticism of this project.

I don't quite understand either. it sounds like you are going to be driving the screws through the membrane. I would also have concerns about problems developing over time and having problems accessing it to inspect or repair. Have you built it or it is just plans now?

I would suggest that you attach the decking material to sleeper strips that are just laid on top of your mineral surface material, because you don't want to have any holes in this material. You should have built an incline into the framing & OSB to allow any water to run off, otherwise water will just stand on the roof surface of your design. The GAF Weatherwatch material is designed to be covered by a roofing material (shingles)asap within 60 days and will most likely deterioriate with continued exposure to the elements from your design. There are products that are better suited for this application.

Back