Building a Shipping Container Storage Carport Barn

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
Thought I would share a project I have ongoing on my land. I needed a place to store things completely dry and needed a place to park my heavy equipment, Jeep, boat to be safe from the sun/rain. I priced both pole barns and metal truss barns, with slab the cheapest option was going to be 30k. So I started doing the math on shipping containers with a roof, felt I could get it all done for about a fraction of that. So bought the containers and a contractor already had some metal trusses so started framing that in last week. Roof panels should go on Monday and then I'm going to level the area in between and lay down some base. The containers are hi-cubes so it's 40'x8'x10'. So between the two just in floor space I have 640sqft but those 10' walls allow me to put large metal shelves. As I'm a practical hoarder, it's plenty. Plus you can see right to the left of the shipping container I have outdoor shelving too for lumber, piping, metal .. I plan to move that inside the carport area. Total roof is about 2000sqft.

Container.jpg

Nice set up. A contractor I know did the same thing. They stacked containers 2 high and across the back with just the front open. Added a flat roof & doors on the front.

Is that Austin's new home on the left?

Yeah, I really miss Austin. I just hope he survives his second childhood, if you know what I mean.

Personally, I would bring those containers to the outer roof line. This would give you an additional 17' of usable space under that roof. Ya got the room, why not utilize it? That would allow the nose of the jumbo jet to stay dry when I wash the windows on it.

Yeah, I really miss Austin. I just hope he survives his second childhood, if you know what I mean.

Personally, I would bring those containers to the outer roof line. This would give you an additional 17' of usable space under that roof. Ya got the room, why not utilize it? That would allow the nose of the jumbo jet to stay dry when I wash the windows on it.

I wanted the overhang to keep water away from the containers as much as possible. I'll also put some shelves to store more lumber, etc. there as well. Should have some good shots this week of the finished project.

Awesome. Where is the river from there?

That's the configuration I want for a two small home (storage container home). One side make a regular home. Other side workshop, and possibly a place for visitors to be private. Car in between for unloading in the rain, or backed out for picnics under.

Back