Building an addition

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
In a few years, we have plans to build on to our house. We potentially will be doubling if not more to our square footage. Our furnace is 5 years old. It seems a shame that we may have to replace it. Generally, would doubling your square footage likely mean the furnace cannot keep up? The addition would have it's own basement. Would putting a second furnace be an easier option?

I'd look at adding a second unit instead of scrapping the unit for a bigger one. My 2500 square foot house has two, and when I finish the basement this year I'm adding a third. Nice thing with have separate units is if one fails you still have a heated or cooled space to live in while waiting for the repairs. It also cuts down on the ducting. I have a unit in the basement for the first floor and one in the attic for the second floor. No chases up through the house for ducts. The second floor ducts are all in the attic.

I'd look at adding a second unit instead of scrapping the unit for a bigger one. My 2500 square foot house has two, and when I finish the basement this year I'm adding a third. Nice thing with have separate units is if one fails you still have a heated or cooled space to live in while waiting for the repairs. It also cuts down on the ducting. I have a unit in the basement for the first floor and one in the attic for the second floor. No chases up through the house for ducts. The second floor ducts are all in the attic.

The addition will have a basement. The second unit will be in the basement of the addition. Can they both be controlled with the same thermostat?

The addition will have a basement. The second unit will be in the basement of the addition. Can they both be controlled with the same thermostat?
No, you'd put in separate thermostats for each unit. You'd want the thermostat to be in the space that is heated and cooled by the unit. With Nest and other connected thermostats you can control them via your smart phone from anywhere you have a connection. You connect the thermostats to your wifi and are able to adjust them from anywhere.

No, you'd put in separate thermostats for each unit. You'd want the thermostat to be in the space that is heated and cooled by the unit. With Nest and other connected thermostats you can control them via your smart phone from anywhere you have a connection. You connect the thermostats to your wifi and are able to adjust them from anywhere.

Kind of like room sensors? I have an Ecobee, and my goal if I have 2 systems is to have them working through the app.

We are looking at a home addition possibly this year. Sort of depends on material prices. We started the plans last year but delayed the construction. Our plan adds about 1500 sf to the house. We have an unusual home and it already has 2 forced air furnaces, both original, about 25 years old so no remorse getting rid of those. Only one of the units has an AC system on it, though both are set up to have one. So on the new plan I was going to go to a single heat source. I was thinking I would put in a boiler and run it to 3 zones, 2 to replace the existing furnaces and one for the addition, also forced air and possibly some floor heat. Hot water feeding a coil to replace the old furnaces I figure. I would also put AC on everything but might be able to have one condenser handling 2 of the air handler and 1 standing alone. I have Ecobees now, 3 actually (one is on my shop.) I would ad a 4th for the addition. Any thoughts or comments on that plan would be welcome. Still in the planning stages.

We are looking at a home addition possibly this year. Sort of depends on material prices. We started the plans last year but delayed the construction. Our plan adds about 1500 sf to the house. We have an unusual home and it already has 2 forced air furnaces, both original, about 25 years old so no remorse getting rid of those. Only one of the units has an AC system on it, though both are set up to have one. So on the new plan I was going to go to a single heat source. I was thinking I would put in a boiler and run it to 3 zones, 2 to replace the existing furnaces and one for the addition, also forced air and possibly some floor heat. Hot water feeding a coil to replace the old furnaces I figure. I would also put AC on everything but might be able to have one condenser handling 2 of the air handler and 1 standing alone. I have Ecobees now, 3 actually (one is on my shop.) I would ad a 4th for the addition. Any thoughts or comments on that plan would be welcome. Still in the planning stages.

Do they all work through the same app and login?

Do they all work through the same app and login?
Yes when you log on you see all the thermostats you have. Could be different buildings and different locations, like maybe a cottage somewhere. That's one of the reasons I spent the money on one just for my shop. Got the lite version without any remote sensors since it's only 1 space. The only drawback on the shop is the minimum temp setting is 45. A low temp thermostat would let me turn it down lower when not in use.

Yes when you log on you see all the thermostats you have. Could be different buildings and different locations, like maybe a cottage somewhere. That's one of the reasons I spent the money on one just for my shop. Got the lite version without any remote sensors since it's only 1 space. The only drawback on the shop is the minimum temp setting is 45. A low temp thermostat would let me turn it down lower when not in use.

Around here, that would be low enough for me.
I have 2 room sensors.
I am thinking I will see if I can have a 3 zone set up for the new addition such that each floor is it's own zone.

It sounds like this will all work well.

Back