Building Codes? We don't need no stinking building codes!

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by Carcosa, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Jan 13, 2007 #1

Carcosa

Carcosa

Carcosa

I've decided that I can salvage a couple of floor joists from the house I'll be renovating. Everything else will have to get re-worked; this includes plumbing, electric, roofing, and anything else you can name.

My impression is that I can use the 2006 International Residential Code supplemented by the Kentucky Residential Code Update. Am I correct in using these references or is there some other documentation I should be using?

2. Jan 14, 2007 #2

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

It sounds like you are in Jefferson County or Fayette County. If it has to be inspected by a Kentucky Building Inspector, yes you definitely should use both codes. And, where ever there is a conflict, go with the Kentucky Update.
    I am a Kentucky Master Plumber and I know first-hand, they don't want to hear anything but the code book. Their position is, you may not be the only one to live in that house; the average turnover time on a house is 5-1/2 years. So, they are protecting the future owners as well as you.
    Glenn

3. Jan 14, 2007 #3

mudmixer

mudmixer

mudmixer

Contractor

You may not too many responses to your question, because many people do not want to waste their time on a project that could end up bad or unsafe because of code violations.

Dick

4. Jan 14, 2007 #4

Carcosa

Carcosa

Carcosa

Thanks, Glenn. The house is in Gallatin. The renovation will be extensive and I wanted to make sure I was pulling requirements from the correct documents - otherwise, everything will be out of whack.

Jim

5. Jan 15, 2007 #5

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

My best wishes for your success, my friend.