Buy a house with visible mold?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnfeist

Reaction score
The basement has visible mold in a couple areas (links to pictures below). I've searched on some websites for costs for remediation, but haven't come up with much. The house is a foreclosure, so it's doubtful we'll be able to request it be fixed before purchase.

Does this look like something that can be dealt with somewhat reasonably, or should we be running away?

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dd35b3127cceb663f013626600000026100BYt2LFo0bsc

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dd35b3127cceb663f004e34100000025100BYt2LFo0bsc

Thanks for your feedback!

Just kidding. Get a home inspection...then clean the mold with lots of ventilation, and bleach. And find out why there is water in the basement.
Then check out all we have on mold issues in the various posts.
Try www.ashi.com for an inspector, good group of folks.
Then have an informed decision, not a bunch of wild guesses.:D

I had a mold problem that looked exactly the same as in this house. The easy fixes of correcting grading and extending downspouts didn't help. It turned out the foundation damp proofing had completely failed, and required digging up the perimeter of the foundation to apply a new one.

i doubt the dampproofing fail'd if install'd correctly as its only an asphalt emulsion, anyway - it wasn't waterproof'd, tho,,, dampproofing's only a few mils thick.

Sometimes a mould problem is just due to improper (or lack of) maintenance, in my experience. Often once you clean the mould off and get the area properly ventilated the problem doesn't come back. I would still make sure it is checked by a professional though.

I had a mold problem that looked exactly the same as in this house. The easy fixes of correcting grading and extending downspouts didn't help. It turned out the foundation damp proofing had completely failed, and required digging up the perimeter of the foundation to apply a new one.

Agreed.

This doesn't look that serious. You could totally go forward with the inspection and purchase. I would make sure that you figure out how the water is getting back inside. Downspouts, grade, etc.

Again, Check for steam and condensation problems. A dryer vented under a floor or into an attic can ruin a home. Check for plumbing leaks, a faulty water heater, lack of insulation, anything that could cause moisture to collect.

I would look to get a nice cleaning and maybe look for opportunities to reseal.

Back