Buying a Storm Door

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by newtimer1, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1

newtimer1

newtimer1

newtimer1

I am trying to decide on the purchase of a Storm Doors...I have a Black inside door..Home Depot tells me I will need to leave the screen cracked to let in air at all times..my reply to them was, "What is the purpose of a Storm Door then?

They told me if the sun shines on that side it will warp the Black paint on the door...their option is to paint the door a different color?

Any other options out there? Also; which is the best, least expensive storm door to purchase, I understand the very cheapest are terrible to install and do not last very long.

2. Oct 16, 2011 #2

inspectorD

inspectorD

inspectorD

Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

The black door theory is correct. I even tell folks to whatch their children around them on hot sunny days. I have shot the temp with my infrared thermometer on a storm door with an exterior steel door that had the glass still in it on a hot summer day. The temp was 180 degrees. No joking. That is a 2nd degree burn waiting to happen.
    It will also warp a vynil door, and crack a wooden door.

I have no storm doors on my house, but I do install plenty of Larson, and andersens.

3. Nov 11, 2011 #3

joecaption

joecaption

joecaption

Any door company has a warning when you buy the door to not paint it a dark color, if it's a steel door it will melt the foam insulation, if there's windows in it the sealent that seals the window will melt.
    A wooden door will dry out and crack.
    By installing a storm door you just made a solar panel and it will super heat the door and it will act like a radiator on the inside in the summer.

4. Nov 12, 2011 #4

campbellsoup

campbellsoup

campbellsoup

leaving it cracked open is a very good idea. i have had a true burn on my hand when the sun has been setting down too hard on my house

5. Nov 14, 2011 #5

damiandouglasgaragedoor

damiandouglasgaragedoor

damiandouglasgaragedoor

I install garage doors for a living and I hear a lot of stories about storm doors. Be careful. It is a good idea to leave it open.

6. Nov 14, 2011 #6

joecaption

joecaption

joecaption

Or better yet clean, sand and prime the door and repaint it a lighter color.