Buying a Storm Door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtimer1

Reaction score
I am trying to decide on the purchase of a Storm Doors...I have a Black inside door..Home Depot tells me I will need to leave the screen cracked to let in air at all times..my reply to them was, "What is the purpose of a Storm Door then?

They told me if the sun shines on that side it will warp the Black paint on the door...their option is to paint the door a different color?

Any other options out there? Also; which is the best, least expensive storm door to purchase, I understand the very cheapest are terrible to install and do not last very long.

The black door theory is correct. I even tell folks to whatch their children around them on hot sunny days. I have shot the temp with my infrared thermometer on a storm door with an exterior steel door that had the glass still in it on a hot summer day. The temp was 180 degrees. No joking. That is a 2nd degree burn waiting to happen.
It will also warp a vynil door, and crack a wooden door.

I have no storm doors on my house, but I do install plenty of Larson, and andersens.

Any door company has a warning when you buy the door to not paint it a dark color, if it's a steel door it will melt the foam insulation, if there's windows in it the sealent that seals the window will melt.
A wooden door will dry out and crack.
By installing a storm door you just made a solar panel and it will super heat the door and it will act like a radiator on the inside in the summer.

leaving it cracked open is a very good idea. i have had a true burn on my hand when the sun has been setting down too hard on my house

I install garage doors for a living and I hear a lot of stories about storm doors. Be careful. It is a good idea to leave it open.

Or better yet clean, sand and prime the door and repaint it a lighter color.

Latest posts

Back