Buying first welder - cheap MIG or high end stick welder

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luciano70

Reaction score
First of all I have very limited experience with welding but I want to learn and eventually start with small projects like steel gate, boat trailer...

I came across this guide where this guy considers that it's better for a novice welder to start with an U.S.A. made stick welder rather than an cheap MIG welder. https://www.drillselect.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news/67-learn-to-weld

Which way should I go? As I said main goal is to learn welding and eventually start projects like steel gate, boat trailer. What kind of welder do you have?

Every welder that I would ever trust my life on his welds learned with stick on a buzz box.

If you want to be a welder that is where I would suggest you start. If you want to be able to weld something together at home once in a while buy a cheap flux core mig and you will be burning thru wire with an hour of practice. If you learn on stick you will have a desire for a mig in no time but you will want something much better than flux core you will want a gas setup and then you will want tig and then……….

Find a local tech school that has adult night classes and sign up.

I agree. I learned how to weld in the Navy. The trick is being able to see the puddle and control it. I don't do a lot of welding so the skill has gotten a little rusty. I bought a wire feed mig. 120V good for small projects.
Now I wany some bootles so I can use the solid core instead of the flux core. Has less to no splatter and a much cleaner looking weld. Especilally if I am welding on my Jeep. splatter tends to catch other things on fire if you're not careful.

Stick welding is great if splatter is not an issue. and you'll need a 220 volt. don't waste your money on a 120v stick welder

Back