Cabinets for garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Are you guys building them or buying them? I am putting drywall in my garage and want to think ahead.

tntrac

I would build my own so that I can get the size and shelf spacing that I need.
May even cost less if your not going for an expensive look (just 2x4's & plywood).

I would build my own so that I can get the size and shelf spacing that I need.
May even cost less if your not going for an expensive look (just 2x4's & plywood).

I am thinking the same. Might not even need 2x4 if I buy thick plywood like 23/32". Maybe use 2x4 for back-end for mounting.

tntrac

building them would be the best best. you can customize them the way you want.

For the beginner, building cupboards or shelving in the garage is a great place to start.
You get to use the tools you got for xmas or justify the tools you bought last year or it might be a good excuse to buy more.
The trick is to spend the time to draw up a detail plan, good plans will catch most mistakes before any wood is cut.
Keep in mind that every job is going to be perfect when it is done, so when someone notices a mistake you have made, just say, ye I have to finnish that.

I biuld the shelves and may even build a work bench, but most oten I get cheap one's I've picked up on Craigs List.
I've got real Maple cabinets with bearing full extention slides in my shop I bought for $200.00 for the top and bottom cabinets.

I biuld the shelves and may even build a work bench, but most oten I get cheap one's I've picked up on Craigs List.
I've got real Maple cabinets with bearing full extention slides in my shop I bought for $200.00 for the top and bottom cabinets.

Heh... once again, I'm with Joe!

I have two sets of cabinets that I got -- one was $125 for four cabinets.
One was seven cabinets at "free if you'll take them off my property so I don't get charged by the cabinet company"

Both came from talking to the crews that installed cabinets for local kitchen/bath shops.
They knew jobs they were going on, asked each customer, and in about a month, turned up two customers that took my number and called me to dispose.
One customer, I took out the old cabinets for him, and helped him decide on how to handle a flooring problem it exposed. Those were the free ones.
Took about two hours.

Saw the same set/brand of Home Depot cabinets down at Habitat for $1300 the following week.... they're now in my spare bathroom, and some in the garage.

Last edited:
Back