california going dry

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we have silly commiefornia stickers on everything....sounds like every one in commiefornia has cancer.

thats where the zombies will come from.

This morning on NPR’s continuing series on the California water shortage they talked about a new billion dollar desalination plant for San Diego. The mayor is behind the project reluctantly as it has a large carbon footprint and there is some chance fish eggs will get sucked up and also the plan is to return the salt to the ocean after they take out the water. I couldn’t understand the energy problem with a new plant like this you would think they would just spend another billion and build a solar or wind plant right next to the water plant after all that technology I’m constantly told is the answer to all the problems.

Does it make sense to burn coal in another state and then send them power to take salt out of water. Why not build a pipeline like they want to build from Canada for the oil and send the great lakes to California. I wonder if that pipeline would be as controversial.

As to dumping the salt back in the ocean I can’t figure out what putting it back where you got it would hurt. Around here they used to dump snow into Lake Erie in the winter to get rid of it. That is now against the law as the salt is viewed as a pollutant. It is ok to leave it piled up till spring and let it melt and go down the storm drains into the lake.

Then there are the fish eggs.

Below is a link to more information on the project.

http://inhabitat.com/san-diego-coun...illion-desalination-plant-to-address-drought/

From what I've been told, the return water is extremely salty, so it will really disrupt the sea life around the plant.

We have a large de sal plant here. The whole thing was a typical govt project. Contractors went bankrupt (after they got paid for botching the whole thing) then they sued and lost then hired another shoddy contractor (probably come senators nephew) who finally got it working somewhat. They dump the salt back where it came from; the fish sometimes have three eyes, but the govt said that was normal so nobody worries about it.

If a civilian was hired to do this project, they would take the salt and sell it to a water softener contractor and pay for the entire project in a matter of months. Even the fish would be normal. Oh, hell what am I thinking, that would make too much sense.

I remember reading somthing about other states wanting the water from the great Lakes , there was big oposition. Get your own water!:rofl:

I don't know exactly how the disilation plants work , but in the northeast budgets are blow on rough winters from salting roads. Can't the salt be used for snow melt?

I don't understand the differance. Is it the size of the salt , what makes it different?

What I know about salt.

from a study I watched on tv....there are 3 things our body requires. Food , water and salt. Our need for food induces hunger. Our need for water induces thirst. We have noNE of this for salt , but it's a nessacary ingredient. It may somehow be linked to addictions humans have. A craving.

Buffalo ny was one of the biggest usa cities at one point. Why , salt. We have large salt mines. It's why the erie canal was dug....by hand. salt was very valuable , epically before refrigeration. It preserved meat.

The mongols of gangis khan , used to ride with meat packed with salt under thier saddles. The pounding and sat enabled them to eat the meat raw.

Salt was so valuable in ancient time , Roman soldiers were paid in sAlt.

That's it:beer:

The term “road salts” generally refers to the four common chloride salts used as deicers in Canada: sodium chloride (NaCl), calcium chloride (CaCl), magnesium chloride (MgCl) and potassium chloride (KCl), along with an anti-clumping agent, ferrocyanide salt.

I'm sure you have something like this down in the US

The salt is removed from sea water with a process called reverse osmoses. It leaves the salt as a brine I believe. It would work fine IMO to melt snow but most salting equipment is set up for rock salt (solid). Around here they use a lot of salt brine from the gas wells on the dirt roads to keep down dust and to help rust our cars out year round instead of just during the winter. It is against the law to dump the stuff but ok to spray on the roads, go figure. They are using brine more and more in the winter now and some of the bridges and overpasses have spray systems built in now.

I heard the plant going in San Diego will provide less than 3% of the local population with water. They are going to have to build thirty of them in San Diego to make a dent.

here is a good little scam.

in teluride co.

A local co, has the contract to remove snow from the parking lots.

they scoop it up with front end loaders and truck it to there yard.

when the snow melts, they have the contract to place gravel on the parking lots to keep the mud down.

they go to the melted snow piles, scoop up the gravel that they scooped up with the snow and get paid to truck it back to where it came from.

nice huh? :rofl:

this did not have anything to do with salt,,,,just seemed about as absurd.

They say here, that "brown is the new gold." Being from Back East where it rained a lot and the blasted grass grew no matter what, with having to mow it sometimes twice a week, I'm all for letting the lawn be as dry as a bone. I'm going to cut it down to as low as I can go, and just weed it anything that pops up the level of the regular grass.

Yeah, I live in California now.

They are going to have to build thirty of them in San Diego to make a dent.

Yeah, but look at all the kickbacks and payoffs it will generate.

If we can afford all this nonsense why can't we afford to do a pipeline from places that have too much water to out here? Besides getting water to where it is politically needed it will give jobs to thousands of people for years to come. And is less stupid as a high speed railway to nowhere.

For all those people who think our farms don't need water or are evil because they use water might want to think twice about what they would eat without us. California produces more fruit, nuts and veggies than most states combined. Here is an example of the percentages we produce.

California produces a sizable majority of many American fruits, vegetables, and nuts: 99 percent of artichokes, 99 percent of walnuts, 97 percent of kiwis, 97 percent of plums, 95 percent of celery, 95 percent of garlic, 89 percent of cauliflower, 71 percent of spinach, and 69 percent of carrots (and the list goes on and on). Some of this is due to climate and soil. No other state, or even a combination of states, can match California’s output per acre. Lemon yields in California, for example, are more than 50 percent higher than in Arizona. California spinach yield per acre is 60 percent higher than the national average. Without California, supply of all these products in the United States and abroad would dip.

Maybe instead of whining that that farms take too much water how bout we kick everyone out of california that is not associated with farming so we can use our resources for what is important and needed in life? Food!

I keep hearing that those evil farmers are using as much water as LA. How dare those evil people make all that food for the country.

Back