Can concrete be added to the top of existing form?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dborns

Reaction score
I’m not sure if I worded that right but I put in a concrete base for a flagpole. I used three bags, but still came up short. I’d like it to be almost flush with the top of the sleeve you see in the picture. Without drilling holes for rebar, can I just add another bag of concrete on top of the current base? It’s not really going to be supporting much, as I’ve already got the three bags in the ground supporting the sleeve; it would only be for lateral support of that 4” of exposed sleeve.
Thanks
E0E1A49F-C7B2-4AFD-ADF2-C87FF6F1C42E.jpeg

I don't see a problem, since you are simply supporting the plastic tube. I would built a circular ring, make the concrete a bit on the wet side, and always taper away from the tube, rather than allow water to run freely into your flagpole tube. In fact, I just did the exact same thing when I installed my flagpole last month.

Thank you for the info. I went ahead and drilled holes for 2 1/4” tapcons, and drilled down into the concrete about 1” for the new concrete to grab onto. I noticed in about 3 out of 5 spots I drilled, I had dry dust coming up from the hole as if the previous concrete hadn’t been mixed well and it wasn’t cured. If that’s the case, can I just keep pouring water on the top of the cured concrete and around the hole daily in hopes that it can seep into the base?
In my ignorant mind, the outer edges of the concrete have cured like a crust and wouldn’t let water in? I’m in no hurry to get the pole up, so I can do that if that would cure any dry spots in the middle.
I really think it’ll be fine either way; the sleeve is not budging at all, but I want to do it right for the last time.

Just let the moisture wick in. No water is necessary. It may take up to a month to really cure good. Drop that pole and hang your flag!20211019_113001.jpg

Back