Can I caulk exterior wood/metal doors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terry47

Reaction score
Due to our neglect our double shed doors were rotting at the bottom. They have wood frames with foam inside and metal skins covering the front and back. We removed the bottom rotted wood and successfully replaced it by spraying in foam sealant and inserting the replacement wood. From water getting inside, some of the wood has shrunk in various places so there is a slight gap on some of the sides where the metal meets the wood. (and also from inserting a little to much sealant) The doors are still pretty strong and sound. Would there be any problem with caulking the doors from top to bottom where the wood and metal come together on each side. It would seal the doors from water getting in.

I doubt that would hurt anything. Sounds like you are just trying to get a little more life out of doors at the end of their life.

Yes we are. The doors are only 6 ft tall and would have to be specially ordered if we purchased new ones. We got an estimate of over $400 a door.

You found out exactly what I learn five years ago about those wonderful heavily promoted clad wooden doors and windows. I wouldn’t give you a nickel for them anymore as all they do is create a convenient pocket for the rain water to seep in and do it’s evil. Are you Gotta do is think about it where does the water hit where does it play where does it run and where does it collect. It’s a no brainer when you stop and look at it. I’m sure the window people are in complete disagreement here but just think about where it is how it sits and what’s gonna stop the water from getting behind it on the bottom surfaces. Look at any cars in the rust belt. When was the last time you saw any rust and an upper surface that didn’t have a big dent in the paint, And look at the bottom. You’ll notice they start out the worst right where all the crud collects where there’s a flange or a band or a curve where the coop can collect and maintain moisture.
I am getting ready to pry the 10 off the bottom of mine and try to make something presentable out of it because I didn’t think of that myself years ago . If I was you I’d at least seal those lower surfaces and up the sides as well but by then you might as well just do the top and be happy.

You are exactly right! Water will get in anywhere it can. We already removed the rotted piece of wood at the bottom and replaced it with a piece of good wood (theres a You Tube video showing how) Then we noticed that the wood piece at the top had some rotted places but had a lot of good wood too. We cleaned out the loose rotted pieces and sprayed it with bleach water. After it dried we brushed on a few coats of that wood hardener which worked great, and sprayed a little expanding foam to fill in some gaps. Now it's hard as a rock.We are going to repaint the top and bottom wood and put a sealer over it. We planned to use Flex Seal to seal it but luckily I called the manufacturer and found out it CAN'T be spread over a painted surface and you can't paint over it. It is only meant to be a temporary bond. So after much research we bought E6100 sealant which has rave reviews .It sticks to anything and can be painted. We plan to use it to caulk the door sides from top to bottom and to seal the ends.

Latest posts

Back