Can I use opposite side of exterior brick wall as interior wall finish

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murray382

Reaction score
I have a room off of my house that use to be an enclosed porch under a second story bedroom. Only 2 of the 4 sides of the enclosed porch were open to the back yard, the previous owner closed in the final 2 open sides with brick that matched the house and it essentially created a small room off of the rear of the home. The ceiling in this room has mahogany stained white oak hardwood.

The two walls that were originally open to the back yard are visible from the great room and i can not finish it to my liking. These 2 walls originally had outdated paneling which i ripped off the walls. I drywalled and it just does not flow with the rest of home. I was curious if I could remove the drywall and just use the opposite side of the brick as the interior wall finish. There are 2 windows and one door on on the two walls. I believe that i would have to get 2 new windows and one door as they are all framed 3.5" out from the inside face of the brick wall.

Would this be a bad idea to remove the drywall and studs and have the exterior brick wall be the interior finish. I think it is a single layer of brick??? There are no outlets or other wires/utilities running between the studs.

I looked at one house about five years ago. They added a room addition that, for some reason, enclosed the back of the stone chimney/fireplace. So, the stone chimney was on the inside of the house and was over half of that particular interior wall. I thought that it looked ok though.

So, I see no reason why you couldn't do it as far as looks go. I will admit that I know next to nothing about the insulating properties of just having brick for the wall. I would think it is ok, but someone will hopefully address that.

Latest posts

Back