Can leaky kitchen faucet be fixed (for now) without shutting off water?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum' started by ilyaz, Oct 9, 2018.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 9, 2018 #1

ilyaz

ilyaz

ilyaz

I have an old Delta kitchen faucet that leaks water when turned on (see photo). Unfortunately, the valves in the kitchen cabinet below (not shown) are stuck since they are very old too, so I can't turn off water to replace the faucet. This is in a condo building that does not a master valve in each unit so I would have to pay for a water shut-off in the building if I want to replace the valves and/or the faucet, unless I wait for a scheduled shut-off which may not happen for several months.

Question is this: is there any way to temporarily seal this faucet so that it does not leak, or does not leak as much, without shutting off water? Even if it's ugly or temporary, it's still better than nothing while I make shut-off arrangements.

thx

Attached Files:

2. Oct 9, 2018 #2

havasu

havasu

havasu

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

All i would recommend is slowly try to exercise these valves often, hoping they seal. If you have to shut off the main water line, i would replace all the valves and/or add a separate dedicated shut off valve for your unit.

Mastercarpenty likes this.
  3. Oct 9, 2018 #3

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

Here is a picture which is probably similar to the angle stops under your sink; https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-multi-turn-stop-angle-58-inx38-in-29-1019lf/i/G0602463/

If your loosen the nut just below the handle you should be able too, by turning the handle back and forth, shut the water off. The trick is that when you turn the valve back open, close it about 1/4 turn from full open, this allows you to move it both ways to loosen any future build up of calcium in the valve.

The repair for the faucet is a washer kit, but while you have it disassembled you may just as well replace all the interior parts. they are readily available at most hardware stores.

Mastercarpenty likes this.