Can Magnolia Trees survive in the Northeast?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMP66DUKE

Reaction score
I live in Massachusetts and my wife is originally from the south. She loves Magnolia trees and I was hoping to surprise her by planting a couple in our yard. I don't know much about them other than I've only seen them in the south. Does anyone know if they can survive the New England season changes and long cold winters?

If you go to your local nursery, they should be able to help you what variaty of magnolias can survive in your temperate zone. Most will guarantee their bushes and shrubs so, save your reciept.

I live in the Chicago area (you know what they say about the winters around here) and Magnolia trees are prevalent here. Can't direct you towards which species but there are apparently varieties that do well in colder climates.

Last edited:
And a bit closer to MA (downstate,Hudson Valley, NY): There is a species here that thrives: flowers predominantly pink with some white, blooming in May or so. Thinking of gettin me sum.

Latest posts

Back