Can of worms!!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJNServices

Reaction score
One of my customers had recommended me to their friends to "install some new windows". Well, you know how plans change and projects tend to grow a bit when you get started, right? After removing wood paneling and drywalling two bedrooms, tearing out the kitchen all the way to the floor joists, removing all the flooring (except the bathroom) and starting a new hardwood floor, a new door, etc., we are now installing the new Pella windows and two new sliding glass doors.

Turns out that this couple (who are way cool people to work for!) had been renting this house out (in Wrightwood, CA) and when the renter had moved out they decided to "fix it up" and use it for their weekend get away.

Let me tell you. These folks are on a mission! They also have good taste when it comes to quality building materials and good beer. The house, however, is an older Wrightwood home that was build by (and added to many times) somebody that did not own a level, ignored things like layout, and seemed to like his beer in quantity instead of quality!

The bedrooms. After pulling out the wood paneling and getting a good look at the framing, I knew that this drywall job was going to take a little extra in the prepwork. Some studs had to be plained down as much as 1/4" and others now have as much as 3/8" of shim just to get them flat. Not much I could do about studs that were out of plumb by 3" top to bottom or the fact that entire walls have a lean in or out to severe that you can see it without using a level! I know buildings can "settle" but that's not the case. The windows are level and shimmed to accommodate it. It really was built that way! Standing outside you can also see walls that lean, bulge, etc.

The floor. The floor was built on 2x6 joist. Not 2x8. And the joist have spans of 10' with no blocking! One we found was broken. Big surprise. The sub-floor is 1/2" plywood (not 3/4) and on top of that is 3/8 particle board. It is also lumpy, squeaky and has a "few" places with water damage. As I said, the entire sub-floor in the kitchen had to be replaced due to rot. A lot of time was also spent getting rid of squeaks and speed bumps before the new flooring goes on top of it. It's a very nice engineered hard wood (glue down) so I really want that, um... sub-floor under it to be right.

Kitchen. Gone. Plumbing and electrical fixed, repaired and corrected. New cabinets going in. Sounds easy, doesn't it.

Windows. Um. Let's just say it's Wrightwood and leave it at that. However, the aluminum siding on this place makes removal of the old windows a royal pain in the......... skill saw. At least the end result looks promising.

Steve
:beer:

I was expecting some major issues with the customer at the end of this thread :p

2637bx3.jpg

The leaning studs of Wrightwood.

wlp02e.jpg

Kitchen gone. Note: The 2x6 floor joist spanning ten feet and no blocking.

2mmhbti.jpg

Sample of the new floor.

b54iad.jpg

One of the new windows that Pella unloaded off the truck, duct tape and all.
Sorry about the poor picture quality. My camera phone has seen better days!

Last edited:
Nice pics. Did they say who owned the house before them?

All I know is that they had a renter in it for some 8 years.

Did the renter do the repairs? It seems like some one without a lot of knowledge or the need to do it correctly.

No. The house was built that way. Just makes remodeling that much more.... interesting.

Latest posts

Back