Can this be changed to a different configuration socket?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxdad118

JOAMOS
Reaction score
E235938D-5A6F-4873-8030-39744BEBE8BF.jpeg E4365249-EA75-4FFC-A044-70982C963954.jpeg So the preschool my wife and I own has a socket for an old heating and air conditioning unit that goes through the wall, probably from the 60s or 70s? I want to remove it because it’s not cooling anymore and put something a little more energy efficient and modern. The ducts in that room don’t provide enough air and this is to supplement. The socket doesn’t match the plug that most of these units have(220-230v). Can this be simply wired to a different socket? I believe it’s a 15 amp circuit? These are pics of the old plug and socket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping to use a 230 or 240 volt unit and just change the receptacle but that’s a thought?! Thanks!
The plug and breaker go with the size of the wire so no it is not just a matter of changing the outlet, you will only get what the wire is allowed to give you.
In the breaker box you will find that both white and black wire go to there own breaker. You can move the white to the neutral bar with all the other whites and it will be a 120 volt.
The outlet is easy the black goes to a gold screw and the white go to the silver side.

230V is from Great Britain.
120V & 240V are US nomenclature and the "recepticle" is a 240V recepticle.

The breaker controlling the recep., along with the current required for the new appliance will tell you the alternatives.

A photo of the new appliance, will be informative.

A few questions:
-where are you located?
-what the specified voltage and current of the device you want to plug in?
-does the plug actually fit the receptacle, and its just the difference in ground pin shape that you are concerned about?

If the current receptacle is 240 volt, then yes, you can just change it out for a new 240 volt receptacle (as long as the new unit is 240volt.

The present receptacle seems to be a straight blade configuration of either a NEMA 6-15 or NEMA 6-30 240V. Upon looking closely at the little imprinted circle above the two horizontal blades it looks like it is a 30. Look at the blade configuration on this chart to help you.

What is needed is what is suggested by the manufacturer of the new appliance you are using. In either the instructions or on a "nameplate" attached to the appliance should designate this need. This is what you need to go by as what type of breaker (rating), wires and receptacle you need to use.

Do you have instructions or can you take a picture of the nameplate that is on the new appliance (if you don't have it yet) can you send us a link to the appliance you want to purchase and install? This is the starting point.

It is highly inadvisable to just change the receptacle to a matching receptacle to mate with the male plug on the appliance without determining this first. This can cause serious issues!

So the preschool my wife and I own has a socket for an old heating and air conditioning unit that goes through the wall, probably from the 60s or 70s? I want to remove it because it’s not cooling anymore and put something a little more energy efficient and modern. The ducts in that room don’t provide enough air and this is to supplement. The socket doesn’t match the plug that most of these units have(220-230v). Can this be simply wired to a different socket? I believe it’s a 15 amp circuit? These are pics of the old plug and socket.

Most likely , when you remove the receptacle , you will find a piece of Romex cable with an insulated white & black wire . And a bare earth ground .

The black and white are both hots ( the white could be taped red ) .

At the breaker , you should find a 2 pole circuit breaker with the black and white terminated to the CB . The bare earth ground should be terminated to the ground bar , or if it is the service panel , to the neutral . If it is not the service panel , terminating it to the neutral panel is illegal .

Wyr
God bless

I did not initially catch that the photo of the plug is the old plug. That is pretty irrelevant. What does the new plug look like?

The OP is considering replacement, the photo is clearly a NEMA 6-15 240v receptacle. Check the voltage as 240v is required for the compressor but the fan may be running on 120v. Yes the receptacle can be changed, if a replacement unit has a 4 wire plug you may have to connect ground and neutral in the new receptacle or rewire to the panel. I don't know what is code and what can grandfathered in for your area.

Yeah sorry, I realize the plug is irrevelant. I don’t have a ‘specific’ unit in mind but found this unit and it appears to have the same plug? Problem solved? I will have to frame it in as the old unit was a heating and cooling unit and is taller. I’m more concerned about cooling the room.

Attachments

• E90154CF-87D8-4A9D-BDAF-2B516FBB5D20.png
    E90154CF-87D8-4A9D-BDAF-2B516FBB5D20.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 12
The existing recep. and breaker will work with this appliance, because the current draw for this appliance is 7AMPS.

Latest posts

Back