Can this recessed light be converted?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmcnyc

Reaction score
I have 9 recessed lights in my basement. I am refreshing the basement and I am replacing the trim in the lights as the old trim is discolored and painted over. 8 of the 9 lights have old trim that came out easy and was easy to replace. This is what they looked like when I removed the existing trim, they have clamps around the edge to hold in the new trim.

IMG-1272.jpg

The 9th light is different. See the pic below. Can I easily convert this to what I have above? This way they will all have the same trim. Or is this a job for an electrician?

IMG-1271.jpg

I have 8 of the 9 lights fitted with new trim. This is the only one of the nine that is different for some reason. I want them all to match which is why I want to convert it so I can use the same trim I used in the other 8 lights.

What do the trim rings you bought look like? Usually trim rings will fit any number of can types. The nice thing with the LED conversions, besides the cost, and lower energy use is they pretty much fit any can.

This is the insert I am using. You can see in the pic the completed light and the one I want to convert.
IMG-1295.jpg

Does it fit inside the existing can? What holds it in the cans you have successfully converted? The can hanging out of the ceiling is called an "old work" or remodeling can, it can be installed in an existing ceiling without making a hole bigger than the can opening. If that can can't accommodate your desired retro-fit you could take your new trim/light to the home center and see if the old work cans they sell can use that trim ring. The trim ring/light I linked will fit just about any can, but you're committed to the style you have so swapping out the can may be your only option now. Without actually putting my eyes on it in person I'm not coming up with another solution. Others may weigh in.

Interestingly, the device in post #1 doesn't appear to have a measure to "capture" it so that the bulb is focused, instead of randomly placed.

While the lamp n the remodel can uses the "L" bracket to capture and focus.

What is the mfg. info on the device you are using as replacements?

Latest posts

Back