Can tile edges be rounded off?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dborns

Reaction score
We had a tile floor put in about a year ago. I didn’t ask at the time about the edges being “softened” or rounded off where they meet the carpet, but I’d like to do that now. It’s a little painful to walk on so I’d like to see if I can use a grinding stone to soften the edges?

Attachments

• 39052600-7FBD-44EB-AF75-585E68D4CAE2.jpeg
    39052600-7FBD-44EB-AF75-585E68D4CAE2.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 13
I’m not an expert but I don’t think you will have much luck at this point.

You might be able to pull the carpet back and add a trim piece that matches like a boarder. The piece would have a bull nose edge. I kind of think that’s how it should have been done originally.

!st would you be as talented, in the process, to ensure a consistent line.
2nd, when you expose the base material, you than expose it to soil and staining, because of it's porosity.

Would a vinyl transition be aesthetically appealing, and a lot less work.

That's an elegant floor so I am not sure how regular ⅝" gray vinyl or al T-mold would look or if the barbs would hold it in place. Aluminum angle tucked under carpet might work but it would have to be small (⅜" ?).

I think Lowes may carry Roppe transitions, they come in several profiles. I think this is the lowest profile but 1" width might be too much. Someone makes a peel and stick tile edging but I think it's for wall tiles. Is the tile floor floating?

Screenshot 2021-09-21 11.24.25 AM.png

Last edited:
You can use a stone to round it off, but it would take a while and would look better with a transition.

Yep I know nothing. I have only installed flooring since 1973.

Even though it is a bad idea, the time to try to grind the tile edges to a bullnose profile would have been BEFORE they are glued down, proper access now is difficult, and all the debris will end up in the carpet or under the pad.
Plus you might damage or chip a tile, and then will need to remove and replace it, which is not fun.
And if I had been talked into attempting this goofy grinding, I would have sealed the exposed edges, while they were in my hand, which will now be extremely messy and difficult with them butted up to the carpet.
The installer should have installed a transition piece or trim edge, or at least brought up the subject with the client before leaving it like this.
And the tiles might be installed too high, relative to the carpet.
It is common to not need a transition, if the carpet sits a little higher than the tile, which then masks the abrupt 90 degree tile edge.
The tackless strips and padding should raise the tile enough to do that.
So the tile might have been laid over existing flooring, or it was too thick, or whatever.
Just my opinion, feel free to ignore.

I think we are more interested than the OP. It looks like laminate to me. I think he may just want to dull the sharp edge rather than have a roundover profile but just guessing at this point.

Back