Canada takes top spot

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll give it to Canada, they have been smart enough to keep things private for the most part, whether they are thriving or failing most of us would never know.

I don't know what qualifies as "obvious reasons"........

The older I get, the more I've learned that some discussions can no longer be had without people getting offended for refusing to allow others to have an opinion that is different from their own.

It's like the Good Book says... every man's way is right in his own eyes.

Yeah it's bad living here, lower taxes, medical plan, and bad neighborhood, The neighbors to the south can be a bit rowdy at times.

Yeah it's bad living here, lower taxes, medical plan, and bad neighborhood, The neighbors to the south can be a bit rowdy at times.

Neal, I'm curious what the average tax rate of a person making 60k a year? Include all taxes, here we have state, fed and a few little ones.

I'm starting to like your health care more. We just got insurance at over a grand a month that doesn't cover anything. 13k deductible before they cover even an office visit, so 27k a year out of pocket before I get my back looked at for a reasonable price. I'm pretty sure America thinks since everyone can get free checkups people won't have back problems.

My insurance just dropped from 75 a month to 0
I will have to look up tax rates but we pay fed and prov.tax, then a prov. sales tax and a fed value added tax those two add to 12% and now they are toling the bridges, and a heavy tax on gas and a carbon tax on gas.
Living in heaven is not cheap.

That is most likely why dozens of busses come around the lake every day of the week to shop at our mall. My sister has a camper at a campground that is about 40 minutes from the boarder. All the campers are year round. About half the people camping there on weekends are from Canada. They bring the good beer with them and sell it to the campers from the states and when they go home they take all kind of food back. Butter is a big one. The one guy takes back 50 pounds of butter a week. He must really like butter.

That is most likely why dozens of busses come around the lake every day of the week to shop at our mall. My sister has a camper at a campground that is about 40 minutes from the boarder. All the campers are year round. About half the people camping there on weekends are from Canada. They bring the good beer with them and sell it to the campers from the states and when they go home they take all kind of food back. Butter is a big one. The one guy takes back 50 pounds of butter a week. He must really like butter.

That's the complaint about dairy back there.

We have marketing boards to assure the farmers always make money and stay in farming. You should see some of the houses those poor farmers live in.
Dairy, chicken, eggs, you can't just go farming. you have to buy a quota from another farmer, millions. I think it the same for grain.

Farmers around here stopped doing specialty stuff and do corn, alfalfa and straw anymore. Couldn't make money with cherries and fruit. I am gonna do cattle once I get it all set up. Water people are already after me for not using any.

We used to have this stupid supply and demand idea going on here. Every once in a while some guy would come along and figures out a better way to do something and the price would come down. Then we would get too much of what they were raising and we had to sell it to other countries. The money we got from them we started buying their stuff. it was just crazy.

Much better when the government takes care of us.

We used to have this stupid supply and demand idea going on here. Every once in a while some guy would come along and figures out a better way to do something and the price would come down. Then we would get too much of what they were raising and we had to sell it to other countries. The money we got from them we started buying their stuff. it was just crazy.

Much better when the government takes care of us.

Everything can be taken to far. I see the farmers as having a union, it is a guaranteed income but boy do they hauler when there workers want to unionize.
Right now the egg suppliers can't produce enough so instead of allowing more farmers into the club, they buy eggs from the US, so we don't know what we are getting.

Greed wins in any system. They always find a way.

Neal, I'm curious what the average tax rate of a person making 60k a year? Include all taxes, here we have state, fed and a few little ones.

I'm starting to like your health care more. We just got insurance at over a grand a month that doesn't cover anything. 13k deductible before they cover even an office visit, so 27k a year out of pocket before I get my back looked at for a reasonable price. I'm pretty sure America thinks since everyone can get free checkups people won't have back problems.

I don't think it is just tax rate to look at if you are trying to figure out where is better.
I think you would have check what one would earn for the same job, all taxes, including all the hidden ones, cost of housing and food as well as medical and everything else you would find important to live.
Some countries have free collage for the kids.

I am sure you tried to look at all that when you moved. But there is no way everyone would come up with same answer.

Here is a calculator, rrsp I think is similar to your 401 k You invest money and deduct from your income but when you take it out you pay taxes on it.
https://simpletax.ca/calculator

Last edited:
I don't think it is just tax rate to look at if you are trying to figure out where is better.
I think you would have check what one would earn for the same job, all taxes, including all the hidden ones, cost of housing and food as well as medical and everything else you would find important to live.
Some countries have free collage for the kids.

I am sure you tried to look at all that when you moved. But there is no way everyone would come up with same answer.

Here is a calculator, rrsp I think is similar to your 401 k You invest money and deduct from your income but when you take it out you pay taxes on it.
https://simpletax.ca/calculator

I put my income into that calculator and it came up with 11% higher than my last years taxes. The hard part would be comparing all the hidden taxes and fees. I bet in the end it's all about equal. I remember a couple years ago and I did the math on how much of my company money went to a tax or fee and it was right around 71% but that was including all of California's fees and taxes.

Canada is a nice place and a great neighbor to the USA. They probably pull above their weight class in world affairs. To compare the USA to Canada is a pretty unfair comparison. Being the largest economy in the free world, third largest population in the world with the strongest military in the world expectations of the USA are considerably higher than Canada's. When the fecal material hits the rapidly rotating object the world looks to the USA for leadership, not the EU, not Canada, not China, not Russia, not India. The USA has over 10x the population of Canada. The vast majority of US residents are law abiding and hard working. You could take just about any slice of the US population and that slice would exceed Canada's overall population (under 18's, seniors, Hispanic, Blacks, left handers, and unfortunately criminals)

It is good to have a neighbor like Canada that we've had mostly friendly relations with for the past 200 years after that little incident back in 1812.

There is an old saying that goes, “There is no such thing as a free lunch.”

It boils down to paying for lunch or not eating lunch. That’s your only options.

Back