Cannot drill into stud

Discussion in 'Walls and Ceilings' started by jpgr, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1

jpgr

jpgr

jpgr

Hello,

I live in an apartment that was built in the 2000s. I was told drywall, I assumed wooden studs. I bought magnetic stud finders, found the nails and then could even see them painted over when I looked closely. I went to the hardware store and bought black oxide drill bits. The store employee said they'd work for just drywall/wood studs. When I hit stud, I cannot drill any farther.

I'm hanging an Elfa shelving unit so it will need to support some weight. I guess I'll just have to call the apartment office tomorrow and ask if it's metal studs (if they even know). It's a wall that is shared with another apartment building.

Any ideas? Thank you for your time.

2. Jul 23, 2012 #2

kok328

kok328

kok328

You may have hit a cover plate that protects electrial wires from being drilled into. You will have to move the hole a few inches up or down to avoid the metal plate. If it's a metal wall stud, you should be able to drill through it, they are just made of thin sheet metal.

3. Jul 23, 2012 #3

jpgr

jpgr

jpgr

Thank you for your reply. The only reason I'm skeptical that it's a wire plate is because the same thing happened in my kitchen area when hanging up my knife rack. Unless I'm two for two.

4. Apr 2, 2013 #4

erinvan

erinvan

erinvan

Have you considered finding some heavy duty wall anchors. Depending on how heavy the material is, this may be able to hold the weight. I would consult someone at the hardware store first.

5. Apr 2, 2013 #5

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

More likely the drill was in reverse.

elbo likes this.
  6. Apr 5, 2013 #6

GBR

GBR

GBR

Ouch....

So if you hit another wire protection plate as before, it's time to get that lotto ticket... Gary

nealtw likes this.