Carpeting stairs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny186

Reaction score
I'm replacing this carpet leading to my basement and my question is about cutting the new carpeting to avoid extra seams, waste etc. All the steps below the ones pictured are standard riser height and 36" wide. The angled steps are as long as 50" at the widest part. I plan to buy the new carpet off the roll from HD which will be 12' by whatever length I need. I'm not worried about carpeting the standard steps but for the angled part, should I buy a 50" wide strip or is there another way to cover them with a smaller piece but angling it in a certain way? Also, is there a type of blade I should use plus any other tools I might need?

steps1.jpg

I'd use the removed as a pattern, and there are specific blades, that are very sharp, in the flooring section.

You don't have to do all the steps in a single strip of carpet. I know that pro installers often (tempted to say always) cut the steps individually and tuck the seams in at the base of the riser. You could do that for just the diagonal steps. You would need a tucking tool which sort of looks like a chisel. I've seen that on the shelf at HD.

What you suggested I plan to do for all the steps lol. Actually that's how they are currently installed.
For the knife, they have utility knives but they also offer the rectangular blade, is one better than the other for cutting carpet?
Can I get a clean look with a manual stapler or should I go electric?

You'll want to use pretty long staples. I don't think a T-50 will do it.
Make sure to pay attention to the grain of the carpet. If you run your hand in both directions you'll see that the look changes. Try to arrange that the stairs will all lay the same way.

Leave the pad an inch short on both sides. Cut the carpet 3 inches wider than the steps. Roll under the edges, that way you can adjust if the steps are not all the same width, and they usually are not.

I first started installing carpet in 1973. I will help any way that I can.

If i cut each step individually will i still need a carpet tucking tool? Will a typical utility knife with a sharp blade suffice or is there another type of knife i should use? I plan to rent an electric stapler in order to use longer staples as was suggested.

A carpet knife would be better, but it can be done with a utility knife. A stair tool is really needed. When you kick the carpet tight, you use the stair tool with a hammer to drive the carpet into the gully between steps. That tightens it more and hooks it on the tack strip. Then you run the knife thru there and trim it.

Looks like I'm ready to do this. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Back