carrier issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richtfan

Reaction score
I have a 22 yr old carrier furnace and ac condenser that has been running fine (as fine as it can in this extreme heat). it quit yesterday afternoon.

outside unit quit
indoor unit quit

there is power to the digital thermostat

there are no breakers tripped

run capacitor is fine

i was told by an hvac tech friend to jumper the red and green t-stat wires in the furnace to see if the blower cuts on.

my question is this----if it comes on, what does that tell me? is it a thermostat wiring issue? is the switch (the one that allows the blower to run when the cover is on the furnace) bad?

thanks

Sounds like a wiring issue. If it turns one, it confirms this.

I have a 22 yr old carrier furnace and ac condenser that has been running fine (as fine as it can in this extreme heat). it quit yesterday afternoon.

outside unit quit
indoor unit quit

there is power to the digital thermostat

there are no breakers tripped

run capacitor is fine

i was told by an hvac tech friend to jumper the red and green t-stat wires in the furnace to see if the blower cuts on.

my question is this----if it comes on, what does that tell me? is it a thermostat wiring issue? is the switch (the one that allows the blower to run when the cover is on the furnace) bad?

thanks

That would tell you if the indoor unit has control voltage (24V)

Back